• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Clutch, now I have problems...

jesterbomb

NAXJA Forum User
Okay Guys, here's the stats:
1991 XJ
AX-15 Five speed manual
4.0L Engine
NP231 T-case

My clutch stopped working a few weeks ago do to a blown and leaky Maste cylinder. Replaced and of course, blew the internal slave cylinder a few days later. So I go out and buy a clutch kit from Bumper to Bimper, because they had it in stock and I am going on a highway trip a few days from now.

The Slave was totally mashed when i pulled it out, like, bent sideways. No biggie. Replaced everything that came in the kit with the help of a friend who has done it a bunch of times on several of his jeeps.

New pilot bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, slave and fluids (Brake fluid for the clutch and GL-3 & 75W90 Gear oil in the AX-15). And the flywheel out of an identical 91 in better shape than mine. I didn't want to get into that whole machining issue and i had no time and little funds anyway. I also threw in a poly transmission mount that I had lying around from several years ago when I had more money and no time. (You can definitely feel more vibes now, especially right off of idle.)

It all goes in like butter. Well, as much like butter as doing a clutch can get while working on the lawn in the backyard.

Bled the system a WHOLE BUNCH, because i have searched a lot on here and apparently the AX-15 is notorious for hiding air bubbles. I have been watching like a hawk for leaks of any kind and so far, nothing.

Problem is it engages about a quarter of an inch off the floor now, and starts releasing about a half inch once you start to press on it to shift gears. Not too bad right? It gets better.

It grinds like a mother when I put it into reverse. I basically have to stand on the pedal and slam it in there really quick, ignoring the noise.

Occasionally it will get stuck in first and refuse to go into second when using the clutch. Luckily I'm good at Rev matching my shifts, so i don't use it often, my girlfriend on the other hand... not so much.

Apparently the hydraulic system in this transmission can't be adjusted. Seems to me it's not disengaging completely, no? Tell me what to look for to solve this problems guys. Aside from the master going those weeks ago, it shifted just fine. All I would have to do is ensure I topped up the fluid all the time and keep the fuse block clean. (Yes I cleaned it thoroughly. Electrical Contact Cleaner.)

Please chime in with an suggestions you may have. Thanks for your time people, I really appreciate it.

Sounds to me like you didn't get all of the air out.

Yep, sounds like air. See if you can get a pry bar in the bellhousing. Put the end just under the face of the throwout bearing and then lever on the case. You want to slowly run the slave cylinder full stroke several times with the pry bar to get rid of the air bubble.

Hmm. I have never heard of using a pry bar on the throwout bearing itself. I'll take a look in a few hours when the sun comes up and see if i can do that. Otherwise i think I'm looking at just cracking the bleeder screw a bit and doing osmething I read about in another post from 2003, which is using the old clutch master cap with a nice big funnel filled with clean brake fluid in it, to give it enough capacity to bleed itself over time.

I'll have a look and give it a shot. Updates later today. Meanwhile, anyone have any other advice for me?

Back