• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so i need help

skull_black

NAXJA Forum User
something snapped in my diff i think its been making a loud noise for a bit figured it was the bearing in there but on my way home just now it like made a loud bang noise and kept randomly making that noise as i idled home any ideas what it is?

front muffler bearings

like scott said, pop the rear diff and take a look. or just jack the rear end up so the tires are off the ground, and spin one slowly by hand. if something came apart in there you'll feel it. check your ujoints on the rear driveshaft as well, any play in there will make some terrible noises.

ya found the problem its the bearing on the left side of diff (if your looking at it)
im now stuck again i pulled my wheel off and disassembled the drum and i cant seem to pull the axle out i think i need to use that slide hammer thing...
damnit
ill put a picture up but im not sure how to do i have to use photobucket or something

Ok, I'm not trying to be a jerk at all, but you seem pretty new around here. I saw the thread where you were ordering a lift, so I'm assuming you are going to be putting some bigger tires on as well. If that is the case, fixing the dana 35 isn't worth the time or the money for the parts. You are going to need to upgrade anyway if you are planning to wheel. I would HIGHLY recommend upgrading now, rather than wasting your time with the d35. If you can afford it, go for a Dana 44, If money is tight though, a 29 spline 8.25 will work too. They can be picked up really cheap. You should be able to find one in working order for around $150 (maybe less) And It will be WAAAAYYYY stronger than the d35

k ya i would like to get a d 44 im just not sure of the price if you know of any deals or a good place to go then ya id rather just go get one of those preff with disc brakes too cuz the whole drum thing is just annoying

Dana 44's are harder to put discs on (or so I've heard anyway). And the cherokee never came with discs. I got them for my 8.25 off of a grand cherokee and it was a really simple add on. They only need a little bit of grinding to fit and they work WAY better than the drums. Another option is a ford explorer 8.8 rear axle. They are pretty strong, easy to find, you can get them with lsd, you can get almost any gear ratio you want, and they come with discs, but the axle isn't a direct bolt in. If you found a d44 in a junkyard, would probably be less than $200, but they can be hard to find.

k ya i would like to get a d 44 im just not sure of the price if you know of any deals or a good place to go then ya id rather just go get one of those preff with disc brakes too cuz the whole drum thing is just annoying

Does your Internet service provider charge you extra for punctuation and capitalization? Or, like drum brakes, do you just find them annoying?

:confused:

Back