• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door hinge replacement problems?????

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
So i have the front two doors removed on my 89 jeep cherokee because i need to somehow fix the door hinges.

it has the type of pins that im assuming need to be drilled out because there is no way to punch it out

so im looking for suggestions on what to do? can i just drill out the pins and replace with bolts?

what size drill bit should i be using and what size bolts?

any help would be great as i have no idea what im doing?

If you are trying to remove the front doors. You will need a punch the same diameter as the roll pin and then with a BFH drive the roll pin out.

If you are trying to remove the entire door hinge included. For the front doors you can go through the wheel well with an extension and #40 Torx bit (I think). For the back doors you go through the latch side of the front door.

If you are trying to fix a hinge that is ripping away from the a pillar then you can do this for a quick fix. You can use a long 3/8" drill bit, drill through the hinge, a pillar and inner metal (MAKE SURE YOU DON'T DRILL THROUGH ANY WIRES) Cut a piece of 3/16" plate and drill a 3/8" hole in it. Put the plate on the inside and use a grade 8 bolt and washers to bolt the whole entire thing together drawing the hinge back into place. Clean and weld if desired.

Notice how many "IF's" I used in the creation of this post, then for future reference you might want to give a little more information about your question. I was just in a sharing mood today.

How do you get the plate inside the a-pillar? Sorry if this a dumb question, as I've not tried it yet.

I drilled until I was into the passenger compartment and put the plate on there. It has worked well for the last 6 months. I might weld around the hinge when my welding skills improve.

If you are planning on taking the hing apart. You might want to think about doing the removable door option. Keeps you from trying to hammer that whole pin out.

How do you get the plate inside the a-pillar? Sorry if this a dumb question, as I've not tried it yet.

I know I just linked to this again last week, but it does work well.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=986973

As for your door pins, they will drive out. One (the driver's, I think) drives down, the other drives up.

Then replace with a 1/4" bolt.

Good luck!

Robert

I know I just linked to this again last week, but it does work well.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=986973

As for your door pins, they will drive out. One (the driver's, I think) drives down, the other drives up.

Then replace with a 1/4" bolt.

Good luck!

Robert

I had some doors from an older Jeep, and, for the life of me, couldn't drive the pins out of two of them. I bent a couple punches and eventually the hinge. I tried heat, lube, and brute strength. And all that was AFTER I cut the bottom half of the hinge! I ended up getting another pair of hinges from the junkyard (from a similar year) and the pins came right out!

Go figure,
Billy

Back