• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#10 header stud missing...

Blackcherokee91

NAXJA Forum User
working to replace my header gasket yesterday, i found that my #10 header stud is missing.

How would you go about fixing it? i have a tap and die set, so i might be able to tap the hole and use a JY header bolt.

would that work? anybody ever ran into this before?

thanks

I picked up a set of bolts and studs from the dealership when I had to do the new header.

If it is missing then you should be able to run a tap in the hole and clean the threads. If it is broke off.. then you will have to drill and tap it.

You should use a new bolt - never reuse head bolts. Not sure I'd use a head bolt instead of a new stud though.

EDIT: I'm an idiot, misread header as head... I'd still use a new bolt though, I hate dealing with old rusty bolts

If the stud is broken off in the hole, you have some work to do getting it out (#10 is probably the one in the rear, right?)

If the hole is open, half of the work is done for you. Replace with 3/8"-16x1-1/4" capscrew, or 3/8"-16x2" stud and 3/8"-16 nut. Problem solved.

I'd prefer the stud - as noted above, you can hang the exhaust on the studs while you line up the intake.

Back