• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yet another friggin' driveshaft question...

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
So, I just swapped in an XJ D44, and I'll be getting a H&T sye on saturday. I have a '90, with an AX-15. What should I be looking for a front DS out of to run in the rear of this setup? also, am I going to have to install shims? I'm at about 5" of lift.

Yeah, yeah, I know I sound like a newb right now, but the search doesn't seem to be returning very good results... hasta

Well it sounds as if you will have to get a custom drive shaft. IIRC there is no front shaft that will work with the AX15. You could get a stock shaft lengthend to fit.

I'm pretty sure there is one out of a ZJ that will work. I really just don't remember which! I think it was the V8 ZJ, but with a D44, I don't know if that is necessary VS an auto front...

Flyingbrick-it wouldn't-- I think his concern was the 44 in his rig might make the ZJ shaft not work.

OP-I've heard that the ZJ shaft can work with the AX15, but haven't seen anyone who's done it. Give it a shot and post results for the rest of us when it's complete.

Grand cherokee with a V8, has the longest front driveshaft. By a good inch or more. It should be enough to put under with your set-up. BUT until you have it in there and see how much slip yoke is showing will determine whether or not to have it lengthened any more.

alright, V8 ZJ... the reason I mentioned the D44 is that the pinion is longer than the D35. I wasn't sure if an inch or so would make a huge difference. Looks like I'll just have to try and see.

yeah, will do. I'm guessing you're planning on the same?

so by measuring Joe's auto, and my manual, I figured out that with dana 44's, in both of our rigs, the auto trans is just about exactly one inch longer than the Manual trans. shouldn't the front shaft out of the auto work just fine with mine also? 1 inch doesn't seem like much of any kind of big deal...

woo, awesome, I HAVE the chart! my new question is does a 1" difference in length make a big enough difference when the axle droops that I should need a longer shaft? By my measurements I should have roughly two inches of slip showing, and about an inch remaining...

dude... have you read the thread at all??? this is FOR an SYE... how much slip do I need in the rear driveshaft

FWIW I run about 5" of rear lift in a manual, using a rear driveshaft out of an auto... the auto shaft is shorter, and it hasn't fallen out. that ain't my problem.

dude... have you read the thread at all??? this is FOR an SYE... how much slip do I need in the rear driveshaft

No its not,re-read,they are talking about the std slip yoke and also mention the slightly longer YJ yoke!

Sorry got a little sidetracked,I dont always re-read an entire thread(while following others),but the point is still valid.Std CV yokes have @ 3" of travel,I use about 1"+/- throughout my suspension cycle!

Last edited:
I know... My question is about an SYE driveshaft. I want to get RID of the standard slip yoke. MY THREAD IS FOR SYE

haha thanks man. sorry to get all crazy on you.

Back