• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locking hubs Q.

jimbow912

NAXJA Forum User
Want to know if there's any locking hubs for the 30 in the junk yard that u can do I'm getting the wearns but if I can get some thing in the yard befor I spending big bucks.

not likely, no.

warn = $$ but quality
MM = less $$ less quality

thats from ZERO personal experience, just reading what others have said on here and other boards.

IMO, a lot of money, and depending on usage, its kinda wasted.

I know wearn is $$ want to get one and I have locker in the front and don't like putting stress on the u joints on road so I'm just going to get on

WARN.

In an XJ D30, locking hubs are pretty much a waste. In 2WD the locker doesn't engage, so there is no additional stress on the u-joints. The only true advantage of lockouts would be if you have a damaged front driveshaft or a really bad pinion angle causing a vibration on the highway. The lockouts would stop the d/s from spinning, eliminating the vibe.

I have an Aussie locker in the front of my XJ with no u-joint problems.
I've thought about putting locking hubs on the D30, but can't justify the $1100 expense for no real gain.

Edit: too slow.

WARN.

In an XJ D30, locking hubs are pretty much a waste. The only true advantage of lockouts would be if you have a damaged front driveshaft or a really bad pinion angle causing a vibration on the highway. The lockouts would stop the d/s from spinning, eliminating the vibe.

I disagree.
-Locking hubs give you 2WL. Which IMO is amazing for just cruising the trails. Your steering is in less of a bind.
-They also give you the ability to unlock that hub when you break a front axle. (Break an axle on the trail, get out and unlock, continue on.)
-They also give you the ability to service that wheel bearing and not have to buy a new sealed bearing.
-It also makes it easy to do your own alignment when you can spin the wheel freely and independently.

I think they're a waste to you because of expense. Which is WELL justified. Although the $1100 kit from Warn does include stubs shafts. What would be the difference between locking hubs on a 44 and 30? Are they a waste no matter what axle?

I disagree.
-Locking hubs give you 2WL. Which IMO is amazing for just cruising the trails. Your steering is in less of a bind.
-They also give you the ability to unlock that hub when you break a front axle. (Break an axle on the trail, get out and unlock, continue on.)
-They also give you the ability to service that wheel bearing and not have to buy a new sealed bearing.
-It also makes it easy to do your own alignment when you can spin the wheel freely and independently.

I think they're a waste to you because of expense. Which is WELL justified. Although the $1100 kit from Warn does include stubs shafts. What would be the difference between locking hubs on a 44 and 30? Are they a waste no matter what axle?
on a 44 i would rather run warn flanges than lockouts. they are another weak point and see to many come apart. and if you need to disengage your axles you can pull the gear out of the flange.

on a 44 i would rather run warn flanges than lockouts. they are another weak point and see to many come apart. and if you need to disengage your axles you can pull the gear out of the flange.

They are an inexpensive weak point that takes minutes to change versus axles, lockers, gears. Although the driveshaft joint may go next. It's a matter of preference.

I have seen a guy who converted his LP D30 on his TJ to 5on5.5 bolt patern and lock out hubs from pick N pul $200. I can not remember how it was done but I know he used Dodenbear nuckles when he did it. He then pulled the rear axles and redrilled them to 5on5.5. I have the Warn lock out hub kit with the inner and outer cromo shafts and a detroit trutrac. I paid $900 for the kit it was used the owner was swapping in a dana 60. The guy I bought the kit from had 36" tires on his YJ and wheeled some tough stuff with no problems. I would look for people who are swapping for bigger stuff you might find a deal.

I disagree.
True, but then you have to get out and lock the hubs in when you need 4WD. You can get the Teraflex 2LO for much much cheaper. I have it and it is perfect for what you describe.
That works unless you're locked. The locker will still spin the broken shaft in the axle tube. You would have to unlock both. It would allow you to get off the trail without changing shafts though.
I agree here. Much easier and cheaper.
Moot point. You can do the same thing without the locking hubs.

They're not a waste on any axle you can easily swap them into. I put locking hubs on my FSJ because they bolted on in 10 minutes and cost $70. Yes you gain alloy stubs from Warn, but as stated above, by the time you gear, lock and hub a D30, you could have built a nice D44 and had an axle upgrade.

That works unless you're locked. The locker will still spin the broken shaft in the axle tube. You would have to unlock both. It would allow you to get off the trail without changing shafts though.QUOTE\]

Ox FTW! or in that case any selectable locker. In which case breaking a front axle is nothing when you can stop everything up front from turning. (i.e. Hubs) But w/o hubs your forced to end the day until you're fixed.

Back