• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ORO U-Turn High steer kit changes?

fdsa487

NAXJA Forum User
I received an e mail from ORO about some new products. I went to their web site and see that they have a new "generation 3" drag link. I guess it is supposed to help prolong the life of the drag link ends. Does anyone have anymore information on this? I have their steering set up and the drag link ends ARE pretty worn and i've only had it on about 5-6 months.

Check it out for yourself if you would like. Also it talks about an 'exchange' but then no more details on that. It is a strait up exchange? 1/2 price? What's the deal. I guess I should shoot him an e mail and ask about it.

https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/offroadonly/catalog/index.php?cPath=37&osCsid=20c1ea847265c9bc8fe2c880cbda83cc

Looks like what I've seen a few companies do for their drag links....put one or two bends in them to lessen the operating angle on their joints. Its simple and is great if done right. If not done right it might weaken the drag link when running heavy tires and you have a hard steering hand.

Recieved an email back from ORO. They said that is an upgrade that you have to pay for. $135.00 You also have to send back your old one. So you are paying around $600 + 135 = $735 for the steering Kit. If you payed full price that is alot of $$$$. I was hoping that it would be free for those who ahd already bought them. But I guess we are out of luck. I will keep you guys posted if Steve from ORO sends me any more emails.

jeepboy_90 said:
Recieved an email back from ORO. They said that is an upgrade that you have to pay for. $135.00 You also have to send back your old one. So you are paying around $600 + 135 = $735 for the steering Kit. If you payed full price that is alot of $$$$. I was hoping that it would be free for those who ahd already bought them. But I guess we are out of luck. I will keep you guys posted if Steve from ORO sends me any more emails.

Damn that is a GRIP of money. How do you like yours?
If you had the opportunity would you go with something else?

I am going to be comparing the ORO and the Phat Jeeps steering up-grades. They are both pricey. I will compare prices and installation instructions. I wish I had the money to buy both and do complete write-ups on them both, but I don't.

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I would like any input on either of these units that are in use right now...

This will take me a few weeks, but I will post up my findings when done.

rpraterxj said:
I would like any input on either of these units that are in use right now...

I have the ORO U-Turn kit and i've had it for about 6-8 months now. The install was VERY easy and I like the fact that it uses the stock pitman arm.

The steering feels allot better at 5.5" of lift then with the stock inverted Y system. The only downfall is that the drag link ends are already worn out. ORO came out with a Generation 3 kit that has beefier TRE's on the drag link so I guess they fixed the problem there.

rpraterxj said:
Not trying to hi-jack this thread, but I would like any input on either of these units that are in use right now...
18 months old, no SS nor the provision for one.
bad ackerman. It has an annoying effect that is present whenever in a tight turn, such as an in a parking lot, or on a tight trail. The outside wheel turns too tight.

Last edited:
Jeepin.com seems to like the ORO kit. Can you be more specific about why it has "bad ackerman"?

Oh and which kit do you guys recommend with a drop pitman and without replacing the knuckles? I would like something that will prevent the bumpsteer problems I've been having with the rubber bushings wearing out all the time.

Last edited:
bigolexj said:
Jeepin.com seems to like the ORO kit. Can you be more specific about why it has "bad ackerman"?
It relocates the tie rod away from the ideal OEM location.
uturn08.jpg

(jeepin.com)
The phase relationship between the left and right knuckles is altered.

Last edited:
I was going to ask the same question about the ackerman being affected, but I didn't know the kit used a relocation bracket.
For the price of the ORO kit, you might as well just do the wj conversion for about the same price.

How about the bulletproof steering kits with the upgraded teflon heims and aircraft quality bolts/nuts? I am considering their kit because it looks to be the most solid of all I've seen. The "rock proof" version that is.

Back