• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is there a factory CD Player...

confused

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if there was a factory CD player available for the 1991 XJ? I don't think so but not sure about say a '92 or '93. I'd like to get rid of the radio with cassette.

IMHO..not worth the trouble. Any unit from sony, alpine, etc. are superior.
My factory premium with equalizer checked out twice and is sitting in my garage unused (CD part won't work).

>I'd like to get rid of the radio with cassette

If you are going to replace the head unit anyway just purchase a unit that plays mp3 files burnt on a CD. I have an Alpine head unit that does that and CDs can hold ten+ hours of music on it.

Also might want to look at units that have a direct hookup for MP3 players such as an iPod.

The remote CD players are a thing of the past.

You'll pee in your pants with happiness when you get a new sound system!

I have a '96 and want to swap out the ancient tape player as well - how difficult is the swap?

Is it a simple plug and play with a wire harness?

I once swaped head units in a 1985 Oldsmobile, it was a complete nightmare.

For the '96 you need a long Torx (T-20? ) screwdriver to remove the clamshell around the column. Remove four screws that hold the fascia onto the dash. Remove the two (?) screws that hold the radio in place. Disconnect the antenna plug and the power/speaker harness.

Replace in reverse order. www.crutchfield.com is a great resource for units and wiring harnesses/diagrams.

Back