• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

19 MPG. I dont believe it

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
My odometer is broken so I have a hard time judging fuel economy. Today I filled up, drove from small town A to small town B and back. 62 miles. at 2500-2900rpm.puts me @72-75MPH. filled up again from the same pump to see how many gallons I used-3.2. thats just about 20 mpg if my calculations are correct(19.37)
relevent info:
209k 98 XJ auto 4.5 RE short arms 33x13.5 Goodyear MT/R's front winch and bumper, rear bumper/carrier and welded in rockers. welded on roof rack
mustang 24# injectors and just replaced exhaust manifold/exaust
it was 91 non-oxygenated ethanol free fuel. still, I am carrying a considerable amount of weight. I guess I always assumed lifted xj's with bigger tires didnt ever get over 15mpg mark best case senario.

That's pretty good. IIRC, when I was still using my 94 (6" lift, 33x12.50 MT/Rs, 4.56 gears, and a 5spd,) as a daily driver, I was getting 16-18 mpg commuting.

Can also get 19-20 on highway trips... still mostly stock though... what I will say is that I saw a huge increase when I replaced the air filter+spark plugs+distributor cap/rotor. I usually average 17-18 commuting+random driving but then again I like the skinny pedal too much.

i think my alignment being off (1/2" toed in) is causing my 12-14mpg in town stop and go, with my 4.5" lift and 235 mud terrains i just replaced the air filter plugs, oil needs changed in maybe 2000 miles, with me running stock 3.55 gears, i shift at about 2k rpm but never above 3000. idk MY problem...

that's awesome for you guys. I wish I could get that. I have 456's with 33's and 6" of lift. I have rigidco bumpers front and rear with a rear spare and roof rack and am not even close to 19MPGs...more like 15-16 on the highway at best and 12-13 city. Maybe I should look into the mustang injectors, magnaflow exhaust, new o2 sensors and new map sensor :)

the weekend of the 20th i'll update you guys on mileage, im taking a trip to the beach so aside from the uphills and down hills it should do pretty good hopefully. im also going to be adjusting my toe in today maybe that extra 1/4" will make all the difference in the world =)

Wow, mine must be in bad shape.

2000 XJ with only 70k miles, AW4, by my calculations I got 13mpg the other day and that is poking around with mixed highway.

31x10.50s too....what gives? I just bought this thing, so I haven't done my round of maintenance such as plugs and what not yet. Anything else I should check, fuel filter maybe?

'98 XJ 4.0L @ 105K miles 5 spd 4.56 32x11.50 MTRs 5.25" of lift

The last long trip I took with the XJ was about 3200 miles round trip and the best I saw was 15 mpg....
Since then I have replaced the original MAP sensor, installed new DUI distributor cap and rotor, cleaned the throttle body in preparation for SMOG, installed a 180* thermostat and JET Stage II Performance Chip that I had laying around from several years ago....
On the upcoming trip to Moab.... I intend to check the gas mileage to see if it's better, worse or the same....

Last edited:
ok, so a small update as to what i found out earlier =/ i tried to adjust my positive toe and well... i put an 18" pipe wrench on the bar AFTER i loosened the 2 clamps and i still couldnt get them to budge, after i get a tie rod puller im going to try and remove them independantly unscrew them out, clean up the threads and reinstall them in hopes i can get them to adjust again. if i cant im going to get some solid stock about 1.5" thick machine out the correct size holes, thread em and put in new TRE's, in hopes it will be much stronger.

I love having ethanol free gas by me. I get 20-21 mpg out of my 96. My 94 has yet to get over 17. My guess would be the crack in the exhaust manifold.

Back