• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death wobble?

93RoughXj

NAXJA Forum User
I tried searching and I found some good information but nothing has seemed to work so far. So sorry if this has been asked a lot.

I have a 93 xj that I have put a 4.5'' Rough Country lift with 2'' coil spacers and 2'' shackles, so essentially 6.5'' of lift. I have 33x13.5x15 super swamper ltb's mounted on it. When I finished the lift there was a terrible death wobble from the start so I got the tires balanced, that helped a little bit but the wobble is still bad. Next thing I did was replace the tie rod with a hd tie rod from a Tj and replaced the tie rod ends. The wobble is still there and BAD. What else can I do? Am I missing a simple fix? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Heres a pic just for the hell of it
IMG_0089.jpg

I remember reading a HUGE writeup on the DW - it explained almost every thinkable cause, the different types of DW, and fixes. I lost it during a reformat (forgot to backup bookmarks :/) but if somebody has the link post it up!

i would check your trac bar man. I have the same RC lift with the same spacers and i had it really bad. also did you ever get an allignment done after the lift install? the right caster is crucial to not having DW

Last edited:
you could also try an over the knuckle steering, a drop pitman arm, id try the pitman arm first seeing as to its cheaper and you'll need it anyway with 6.5" of lift

checked out death wobble on youtube... crazy stuff, im glad i havent expierenced it yet. hopefully i can upgrade everything so i wont have to.

Last edited:
checked out death wobble on youtube... crazy stuff, im glad i havent expierenced it yet. hopefully i can upgrade everything so i wont have to.

Try getting it in a MOTORHOME at 70 mph on two lane black top...The unit was 38' long..It knocked the TV out of it's holder..Yes i changed my pants when i got it stopped..
You do have a drop pit man arm on it, right? I think to alin it you can check from the front to the rear front tire to make sure you are like 1/8 different.

HTH

Thanks for all the replies guys. No I do not have a drop pitman arm but it is on my "to buy" list. And no I haven't gotten an alignment yet, the jeep isn't registered or inspected I bought it to be strictly a wheeling rig but I'll probably just trailer it somewhere to get it aligned. An adjustable trac bar is also on my "to buy" list. Hopefully those 3 things will fix the DW. I'll have front end pictures up tonight for more detail.

(An adjustable trac bar is also on my "to buy" list.)

Holy chit..Your axle is sitting off to one side? Just use a tape and do it yourself..After you get all the RIGHT stuff it will be fine..

Good luck

(An adjustable trac bar is also on my "to buy" list.)

Holy chit..Your axle is sitting off to one side? Just use a tape and do it yourself..After you get all the RIGHT stuff it will be fine..

Good luck

No, my axle is centered under the vehicle. I followed the instructions and re-drilled the trac bar hole 3/4'' to the right of the stock hole. I don't doubt that my alignment is off but after replacing my tie rod and getting the tires balanced I'd think it would be a little better.

I went through the same exact thing when I put bigger tires and a lift on my Heep and mine was a combination of worn out control arm bushings and a shotty alignment.

No, my axle is centered under the vehicle. I followed the instructions and re-drilled the trac bar hole 3/4'' to the right of the stock hole. I don't doubt that my alignment is off but after replacing my tie rod and getting the tires balanced I'd think it would be a little better.

I had the same exact problem on my 93 with the 4.5 rc lift, anything over 4.5 you will need the adjustable upper and lower contril arms to get the pinion angle in spec.

After lifting my 92 i got serious DW at highway speeds. the slight bumps as you go over overpasses is usually what set it off. i replaced the steering stabilizer (it was leaking) and took it to the alignment shop. haven't had a problem since.

After lifting my 92 i got serious DW at highway speeds. the slight bumps as you go over overpasses is usually what set it off. i replaced the steering stabilizer (it was leaking) and took it to the alignment shop. haven't had a problem since.
those damn freeway expansion joint/overpass things use to set mine off every time. HATED those things.

have you checked the tie rod ends and everything? welcome to DW (death wobble) there are alot of diff things that cause it. one is improper alignment of track bar and drag link mounting points. another is bad/worn tie rod ends, track bar bushings, ball joints, control arm bushings, and castor problems. there are many diff reasons. sometimes it dont even haveto be lifted i have found reports of it on brand new vehicles drivin off the lot. somepeople have spent as little as 15 to 25 bucks to fix it andas much as one guy spent 10,000 on new lift and all custom stuff to get it to quit. its just trail and error to find what it is and fix it. have found new bigger better steering dampners make it go away but they are just coverin up the problem not fixin it.

the main being the track bar and and drag link mounting points all bein in a straightline.

Back