• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Express drop brackets on 4.5" lift... RE says "no"

bmpweXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got off the line with RE and they said not to use their drop brackets with their 4.5" lift. I searched, an plenty of people here are using them with that lift...

Mine's not a question of if they're cost effective at that height (I got a steal), but if they're mechanically compatible. Seems to me that using them will get me closer to stock geometry.

BTW, mine is mostly just a exploration rig, 70% on road (there and back).

Any ideas guys?

5.5"

I'm at 4" of lift with the DB and they work have great for many years and over 90,000 miles of street and trial driving.
They do hang down a bit but the after-market LCAs and the RE drop brackets are tough and slide off the few rocks they encounter.

The interesting thing about DBs, at 4" of lift, is that they allow the control arms to run at the same angle they were at the stock ride height, allowing for a much better ride than when the CAs are at steep angles.

They are probably just concerned about your ground clearance,otherwise they will work fine.

no, run them, im at 6.5 inches and its so much better, were they trying to sell you long arms instead?

nope, it was really odd.

Thanks for the advice guys!

They are probalby worried that it will push your axle forward a little bit since the arms will be sitting almost if not level

from what i understand from this site http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Control_Arm_Chart.htm
that if you have a 4 inch lift and use drop brackets you would basically need to use the stock LCA length to have it work. this site claims that if you have a 9" lift to use a 5" lift measurement if you use the RE drop brackets.

i think if you have a set of adjustable uppers to go with adjustable lowers, i dont see a problem with running the DB as long as the ending result to your caster is still correct.

I have the RE 4.5 and run the drop bracket just fine. The axle location is fine. The LCA's are pretty close to horizontal and it improved the ride quite a bit.

Either way, I am curious to know why they say not to.

They are probalby worried that it will push your axle forward a little bit since the arms will be sitting almost if not level
completely agree as I have the RC drop brackets, and at 4.5" my axle is WAY forward (so much that I cant hook up my discos without it rubbing the crap out of my tie rod end) and my caster sucks, and the jeep wanders with a mind of its own.

but on the flip side, it handles the bumps and crappy PA roads a lot smoother than it used to, it just doesn't go straight.

I'm running the RC 4.5 and it always seemed like the coil spring wasn't sitting straight. When I would flex out the suspention the coil would bind with the bump stop tube. Now with the DB's the suspention sits right.

=/ i wanna ride like a caddy... but i gotta make the rear ride like a caddy first, its kind of stiff for now.

DB's on 4 inches of lift, stock rear packs with an AAL, 2 inch shackle, shackle relocation kit, and 2.2 shocks with sway bars installed.... I still need to get my rear bar links modded so it can go back on.

DB's on 4 inches of lift, stock rear packs with an AAL, 2 inch shackle, shackle relocation kit, and 2.2 shocks with sway bars installed.... I still need to get my rear bar links modded so it can go back on.

lol what im running now is 4.5" coils with fixed LCA's, and adjust track bar dakota leaf pack in the rear stock shackles no rear sway bar, front sway bars intact with poly bushings, and when the cash becomes available, im going to be installing some 31x10.5 general grabber at2's

im afraid to do the rear shackle just yet... i can get the leaf eye bolt out no problem but the one inside the unibody bothers me. the bolts on my xj are pretty rusty and i've snapped more than i've saved so i havent tried to remove it yet.

Back