• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 trany overide

You might have struck gold.

I've never seen that before, but based on the number of threads about controlling the 1-2 shift on the AW-4, and the headaches with the OBD2 setup in the late models, that is going to be one popular item.

Well, I'm a guinea pig. I just ordered one. It probably won't make it here for the weekend,(I'm not paying for overnight delivery). I'll post up when it get's here and let everyone know how it works.

I think I just saw another thread about this, not sure... tbburg, if you could post some detailed pics of the board (both sides), power resistors, and wiring harness I have some theories I'd like to compare with reality! If they are correct I may build myself one of these.

EDIT: aha, same thread in the other forum, got it!

Another product to consider:
Little more appealing than what you have linked.

Link to a thread regarding the "Baja shifter" installation:
I really like that, and if I ever get an AW-4 behind the engine in my 87, I think I'm going to use it. I don't really like the rotary switch in the Montana fab controler, but it's designed to work around the late model combined ECU/TCU, and it's as robust and functional as a pieced-together override switch would be.

All of the controllers I've seen up until now(I believe the Baja shifter is like this too) when you engage the manual shift mode, the computer throws a code and turns on the check engine light. If the light doesn't bother you, then no big deal(The light bothers me)

The Montanafab override isn't as fancy, but it's only meant to control the 1-2 shift, not the whole range.

Anyway, we'll see how it works.

Well, it came in today(yesterday actually, I didn't realize it until today). Probably not going to have a chance to play with it until the weekend, but for what it's worth:

When I talked to them on the phone, they said they keep them in stock,(that's a good sign!)and ship out same day. Purchased on Thursday, sitting in the office on Monday('had 'em ship it to where I work) It came in a priority mail box(USPS) with a $4.95 stamp on it. They charged me 5 bucks for S+H, so that seems pretty fair.

First impressions out of the box: Very good documentation, 4 pages of instructions including early and late model hookup, as well as for the '93 ZJ Grand Cherokee, which also had the AW-4. Another page containing diagrams and charts for pin-out on the early and late computer connector plugs. Also paper templates for drilling/installation.

The harness/controller is high quality construction, and looks a little more complex then the average 1-2 switch. As I understand it, a wired switch is usually 6 wires(3in, 3 out) on a DP/DT switch. This rotary switch appears to be a Quad pole/Triple Throw. It also has 10 wires coming out of the base of the board. It's also lighted and dim-able with the dash lights(might explain a few of those wires)

That's all for now, I'm going to cross-post this over in the OEM tech. forum, and when I get it installed, I'll post a writeup here.

Back