• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-01 Trailer Wiring

Since I have now installed my third trailer wiring harness, and have yet to use the plug n play harnesses available... And since each time I searched and could not find the wire colors to use... And since I resorted to testing each wire until I found out which...

I hope to save someone from the hassle that a tiny bit of tech might.

This should be the same for 97-01 XJ's.

Remove spare tire, carpet trim along bottom of hatch opening, spare tire bracket, and the interior quarter panel on the drivers side.

You will see a white plug with eight pins. The top row has one pin, two spaces and then two more pins. The bottom row has five pins.

Your trailer connector will have 5 wires.

Ground - White - screw into body ground.
Brake - Red - piggyback onto bottom row, 3rd pin, wire is white with light brown tracer.
Tail - Brown - piggyback onto bottom row, 2nd pin, wire is brown also.
Left Turn - Yellow - piggyback onto top row, 5th pin, wire is green with red tracer.
Right Turn - Green - piggyback onto bottom row, 1st pin, wire is brown with a red tracer.

It was getting a bit dark when I wrote these colors down, so if someone has a wiring diagram and disagrees with the colors, please correct it!

Thank you.

By the way, if you can find the plug n play harness, by all means spend the extra $10 or so!

Back