• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone got an extra ECU...?

MXRethoret

NAXJA Forum User
Wats up guys? This is Rick's son Richard. I'm under the impression I fried my ECU, which may have had something to do with connecting the wrong terminals to my battery... :( doh! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has an extra Renix ECU layin around that they wouldn't mind selling. It's an '88 cherokee, 4.0L, automatic. thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You need to list the year, engine, and tranny.

Sorry, I'm getting old and its late. Good luck. :twak:

Wats up guys? This is Rick's son Richard. I'm under the impression I fried my ECU, which may have had something to do with connecting the wrong terminals to my battery... :( doh! Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has an extra Renix ECU layin around that they wouldn't mind selling. It's an '88 cherokee, 4.0L, automatic. thanks in advance!

Symptoms?

Also, see if you can get a number off of the face of the thing. I've got a boxful, so I may have something compatible with yours (we could swap, having the "failed" ECU is still useful to me...)

Givvus the symptoms, and see if you can read the number on the label of the thing (along with manufacture date - should be four digits giving the year and week of manufacture.) I'll find my boxful and see what I can dig up.

Hey Richard

I got a stock one and a performance one. Gimme a call, your dad has my number.

cal

ok, sending the stock one to SD with Finch, hook up with him (your dad can find him too) to get it. Its on me if you send your fried one to 5-90 for his junk collection. ;)

If you want the performance one give me a call, but it requires a couple of other (inexpensive) upgrades to really do anything for you.

ok, sending the stock one to SD with Finch, hook up with him (your dad can find him too) to get it. Its on me if you send your fried one to 5-90 for his junk collection. ;)

If you want the performance one give me a call, but it requires a couple of other (inexpensive) upgrades to really do anything for you.

Hey Cal -
Tell me more about the performance unit - I may try to talk you out of it for my overhaul...

Hey Cal -
Tell me more about the performance unit - I may try to talk you out of it for my overhaul...

Jet Performance ecu for renix. I've tried a bunch of times to get Jet to tell me what it changes, without luck.

What I can tell you is that if you just plug it in, you lean out the engine. Need to run larger injectors with it, and a bored throttle body. A good header and some combustion chamber work wouldnt hurt.

Jet Performance ecu for renix. I've tried a bunch of times to get Jet to tell me what it changes, without luck.

What I can tell you is that if you just plug it in, you lean out the engine. Need to run larger injectors with it, and a bored throttle body. A good header and some combustion chamber work wouldnt hurt.

Considering I was planning a mildly massaged stroker (sooner or later...) anyhow, and that means header/head work/injectors/other goodies, that shouldn't be a problem.

Why the bored throttle body, I wonder? It's not like the OEM one won't support strokers to begin with - out to the 4.7L version. All you really get from a bored throttle body is crisper part-throttle response, last I'd checked.

Still, I'm at least vaguely interested. And, if I ever get my "RENIX Simulator" off the ground (which means I'd have to be caught up with myriad small projects and have my mother-in-law out of my hair for another six months or so...) I could possibly find out just what JET changed around...

Thanks Cal! I'll be giving Mike a call later on today...

Stupid question.. But where the HELL is the ECU in a Renix?!! I've looked everywhere.

5-90, pm me ur mailing address so I can send out the old ECU to you.. once I find the damn thing.

Under the dash above your right leg.

its a pain in the butt to get in and out.

I've been trying to lay hands on one of the performance ECU's. I want to copy the chip. I'm an electrical engineer and a computer sci guy, so I know what I am doing. What would it take to score the computer? I could make a limited number of chips available for "testing" purposes.

alright, just got the ECU out.. it actually wasn't all that big of a deal.. just a couple screws. anyway, i'm looking at the computer right now and was wondering.. is there any physical indication that the computer is bad? i.e. burnt shorted electrical components. from the looks of this computer, theres no sign that its bad..

Not really. You *MIGHT* see physical signs if you opened it up, but probably not. Sorta the same way there are no phsyical signs when your nintendo stops working. ;)

Mike picked the replacement today and is heading south with it.

Back