• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 lights, 2 settings, 1 switch.

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question.

I'll have 4 roof lights, all 4 " Hella 500s. I want to be able to use a 3 position switch to control the lights in a manner that copies our excavators and backhoes. The way the lights work on our equipment is when you push the switch forward half of the lights work, put it in the center and all of the lights are off, and if you push the switch back all the lights turn on. That's how I want my roof lights to function. In the lowered position I want the two outside lights to be on, center would be off of course, and when upward position I want all 4 lights to be on. How can I accomplish this ?

You will probably need a DPDT 3 pos switch. As long as you know how to make them work, setup 2 lights on one pos. and all 4 lights on the other. To make the setup cleaner, probabl use a terminal strips to split the lights. Make sure you use a decent gauge wire.

You could probably get a stock headlight switch, and put it in the dash the same place as the other one, except on the opposite side of the steering wheel. I didn't look too closely, but there appears to be the same cut out on the other side of the metal behind the plastic.

I'm not looking to install another factory switch or any of that. I just want to have control of the lights without a mess of switches and I dislike the idea of running them without relays.

Couldn't i just hook relay 1 up just like any other relay, and use a single position on the switch. Then, use the other switch position to control relay 2 which would power up all 4 lights ?

You can use relays, I was just giving you the basics of what would need to be done.

I'm not looking to install another factory switch or any of that. I just want to have control of the lights without a mess of switches and I dislike the idea of running them without relays.

Couldn't i just hook relay 1 up just like any other relay, and use a single position on the switch. Then, use the other switch position to control relay 2 which would power up all 4 lights ?
Yes you can do it this way, but.......you need to make sure the relays can handle the total load they will be supplying. For two lights a 30 amp should be sufficient, but for 4 lights you will need a 60-75 amp relay. If you want I can draw up a wiring diagram for you.

You will need two 30A relays, two fuse holders, some 10ga and 14 ga wiring....
In the first position... the switch will energize one relay to illuminate the two outer lights and the middle position will deenergize the first relay and then the third position will energize the first and second relay to illuminate both sets of lights ....
If you are good with wiring.... this is not a problem....

You will need two 30A relays, two fuse holders, some 10ga and 14 ga wiring....
In the first position... the switch will energize one relay to illuminate the two outer lights and the middle position will deenergize the first relay and then the third position will energize the first and second relay to illuminate both sets of lights ....
If you are good with wiring.... this is not a problem....
What he said.
Now get ambitious and use some power mirror hardware to build an in-cab light aiming system. Can't remember whose idea it was but I want to see it!

Back