• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does a 96 XJ dana HP30 have a crush sleeve ?

slowpoe

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 96 XJ country and the arb (older RD30 unit)cylinder cap bolts came out on previous owner and I am trying to fix it.

When I took it apart I did not see a crush sleeve ,but how do I no if it was put together right. I am also missing the inner pinion bearing baffle.Is that needed & what is the risk without it.

I got a install kit from Summit and they did not know which of the 2 kits they had was the right one. One had a crush sleeeve & one did not.
One had different pinion bearings than the other.

I got the kit with the same tail bearings I have & with no crush sleeve & I want to make sure what is supose to be in there.

I had a backyard mechanic put it together & when I got it back(front end is out of jeep) I was going over it & noticed that the pinion had a slight bit of side to side play at the gear , not good.
So I am taking it back to have it checked out & I want to make sure the right parts are there.

I am not to sure about this guy as he suposedly did set the pinion depth as stamped on it(with what tool I dont know)I think a micrometer & he did set backlash 4.5-9 thousanths (carrier is bent) But then I asked what the gear pattern looked like & he said he does not do that . He said if the pinion depth & the backlash is right then there is no need in the marking compound for gear mesh:helpme::flame:
Anyway am I supose to have a crush sleeve & what about the baffle
:wierd:

HP D30 does not use a crush washer you use shims to set the pinion preload. You should have about 12-15 in lb on new bearings or 6-8 in lb on used bearings preload. You measure it by checking the rotational torque with the pinion completely assembled and torqued to spec but with no seal.

My parts manual shows you should have a oil slinger.

Here is a nice manual on setting the gears and includes the specs.
<http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/HowTo/TechnicalInstructions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf>

Back