• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One full week to work on XJ - what first and where to buy parts?

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
I have a ’97 Sport, 4.0, AW4, 143k and running dang strong. I’m taking a full week off of work (need to use the time) and will spend most of it replacing worn-out stuff on the XJ. Here’s what’s on the list at the moment:

Front axle u-joint replacement (does the whump-whump bump dance when turning with the front wheels locked, I assume it needs new ujoints)

Trans and motor mount replacement (bumps and whumps when starting and stopping, likely needs new mounts)

Filter adapter o-ring replacement

Outer axle bearings (starting to make noise, assume they are dying)

Driveshaft u-joint replacement (why not? Hey, while I’m down there…)

Rear pinion seal replacement (slightly leaking)

Taurus fan and hood vents, if I have time…..

Assume that I work very slowly (which I do) and that I might run into problems (which I probably will). I’m just looking to do this routine driveline maintenance before it gets on top of me and I can’t catch up. In what order would you attack them, assuming that no one part is in more dire need of replacement than another?

Also, what is a good (in other words, cheap) source for quality components? Any brands recommended or that I should avoid? I don’t want to do this again next year, so the extra $$ for a quality part is not an issue.

Thanks!

I see you're in Colorado... steel brake lines, fuel return line, and floor panels would be on my list of things to do, if they are rusty like I'd expect them to be. Maybe start PB-blasting your leaf spring and shackle bolts just in case you get inchitis and decide to lift it after a few months on NAXJA :roll:

Rear Main Seal + oil pan gasket + maybe front main seal if you feel like it / if they are dripping oil.

Diff fluid change on both diffs - doing bearings and pinion seals, might as well right?

TC fluid change.

EDIT: list of sellers - teamcherokee.com (pricey, but has some things others don't), discountjeepparts.com (good for gaskets and seals), funjeepparts.com (I've gotten fuel tank J-bolts from them, not much else), quadratec.com (suspension stuff), zmjeeps.com (great for hard to find nuts and bolts and misc parts if you know OEM part numbers, get yourself a parts catalog and it'll help you a lot), rockauto.com (good for most stuff), your local junkyard for anything big.

Local: NAPA.

Internet/Mail order: rockauto.com, quadratec.com, morris4x4.com--ask for guaranteed delivery times!

Do those things first that you do not want to have to take apart again to do something else in the near future!! :doh:

Use high quality parts for those things that are a PITA to get to.

Use medium quality parts for those things that easy to get to.

Leave the cheap parts for (insert favorite disadvantaged group here)!

Back