• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

It feels like my XJ gets a violent ride on a dryer when I hit a bump...

HornedFrogHooah

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3.5" RE Superflex and just recently put on 1.75" Teraflex Spacers. Now, every once in awhile when I hit a "bigger" bump, the front driver side wheel area will shake violently and only get worse until I slow down and it stops.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming it's with the teraflex spacer, but why?

The additional lift didnt help,you need DB's or LA's.

Proper steering alignment should help a lot. I was higher than that on short arms (same arms you should have with your 3.5" kit) and had DW once, then aligned it and was fine. I was at about the same height you're at with the stock arms and no wobble.

alignment is key there. get a 4x shop to do it they understand that a lifted vehicle cannot usually use the standard alignment specs. They major thing in an alignment that solved my "death wobble" was the caster angle. DO NOT get this confused with your pinion angle. they are very similar but are very different.

But when you lift them up, you use your pinion angle to determine how much caster you can give the jeep.

With an RE 3.5" I don;t think he has the ability to set caster and pinion angle. That kit doesn't come with the adjustables. That's what my kit was based off of, until I got the RK 3 link. Fixed lowers and stock uppers.

But when you lift them up, you use your pinion angle to determine how much caster you can give the jeep.

No you do not. The front drive shaft has a double cardian set up on it so it will have a little flexibility. Set your caster as caster, do not judge it by your pinion angle. Been there done that had the death wobble from it. Learn from my mistakes and just set the caster as it needs to be.

With an RE 3.5" I don;t think he has the ability to set caster and pinion angle. That kit doesn't come with the adjustables. That's what my kit was based off of, until I got the RK 3 link. Fixed lowers and stock uppers.

ya but he added 1.75 spacers so he is not at 3.5 anymore hence the worsening wheel hop. Even without adj arms there is some adjustment by adding/subtracting the stock shims at the body mounted side of the arm.

ya but he added 1.75 spacers so he is not at 3.5 anymore hence the worsening wheel hop. Even without adj arms there is some adjustment by adding/subtracting the stock shims at the body mounted side of the arm.
I was just pointing out the arms don't allow for caster adjustment in that kit, even with the spacers. However I was not aware of the adjustability in the body side mount.:)

Well, I took it to the local auto shop I've taken it to for the past 8 years and got it aligned. Thought everything was good, but now the DW is happening just going down the street at around 20mph on any little bump. Done a look around underneath, nothing was/is loose. I'm pretty sure its the caster angle. That's the only thing that's off that the shop couldn't adjust anymore. Gonna purchase RE3780 (upper adj control arm) and hopefully *crosses fingers* that will cure the DW.

Well, I took it to the local auto shop I've taken it to for the past 8 years and got it aligned. Thought everything was good, but now the DW is happening just going down the street at around 20mph on any little bump. Done a look around underneath, nothing was/is loose. I'm pretty sure its the caster angle. That's the only thing that's off that the shop couldn't adjust anymore. Gonna purchase RE3780 (upper adj control arm) and hopefully *crosses fingers* that will cure the DW.
:huh:
did you look at that post i posted? the uppers are the same length all the way up until 5 inches of lift and thats where the adjustment changes from 15" to 15.25, however the lower control arms change at every lift and because your at what 3.5+1.75 = 5.25 you will indeed have to adjust your uppers forward a 1/4" and lowers anywhere from 1/4 to 5/8 of an inch

if it were me in my xj i'd personally get adjustable lowers and start there for the caster, plus you can sell your non adjustable lowers and get some of your money back.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Search/Product.aspx?part=RE3780

I read your post MaxxXJ, but the RE3780 adjusts from 15.25" to 16 1/8". From my understanding, that should do it... right?

yeah... just snug it down to where it cant go any smaller and thats a start, just remember just because your tops good dont mean your bottoms gonna be good too and this is my theory only, but if you dont have enough length on bottom its only going to make the caster angle worse by lengthening the top

work with me here... this is what i think is going to happen with your caster angle... lengthening the top is going to be basically the same as shortening the bottom [SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

Honestly, I would change the bottoms to adjustable one's first. And do not forget about other manufacture's either. I run the Rough Country adjustable one's on my, both upper and lower, and have never had an issue. And if you call them, talk to Jason, we get a discount from them for belonging to this group. We get discounts from other manufacture's from being part of this group to. For RE stuff talk to "Fullsizexj"
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=965497 he got me a great deal on my track bar and bracket for both myself and my buddies rig. He and Jason(rough country) have never done me wrong and are both great and easy people to associate with.

Back