• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ w/ towing package + full size spare != limited slip rear diff...?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

I've been noticing that the "rule of thumb" with regard to XJs that came with full-size spares (and according to many, towing packages) also included a limited slip rear diff. Well, much to my disappointment, this weekend I found that my 2001 (with the 8.25" rear, towing package, and a full-size spare) does not have a limited slip rear diff.

Is this a common omission? Or is this just a case of rampant misinformation?

I'm looking forward to you guys' thoughts. Thanks!

Campbell

On the XJ, the LSD seems more common with the Off-Road package than with Towing. I think all you got with towing package was HD rear springs, a hitch and electrical. I have 96 xj, 97 zj and had 93 ZJ, none came with towing or LSD all had full size spare option.

..... just a case of rampant misinformation

AFAIK the only option package that came with LS was the UpCountry off-road package. AFAIK the tow package did not include LS. LS, and full size spare tires were optional items or the PO could have installed a full size spare. I always dispose of the dough-nut tires and get a full size spare for all of my vehicles.

AFAIK the only option package that came with LS was the UpCountry off-road package. AFAIK the tow package did not include LS. LS, and full size spare tires were optional items or the PO could have installed a full size spare. I always dispose of the dough-nut tires and get a full size spare for all of my vehicles.

You should keep the doughnut with you. In case of a high speed chase by law enforcement you can throw it out the window and escape during the confusion! ;)

Full sized spares and towing package have nothing to do with a LSD. Not sure why you thought that. LSD was tough to find on any XJ on a dealer lot. The two TJs that I had with LSD I had to special order both. Dealers figured the average Joe on the street didn't know what a LSD was let alone want to part with the nearly $300 to buy it. Since most cars are purchased off the dealer lot, well, you do the math.

Up country probably had them but my 92 sport has one as well.

My 88 has the tow package. Hitch, tranny cooler and LSD.

Full sized spares and towing package have nothing to do with a LSD. Not sure why you thought that. LSD was tough to find on any XJ on a dealer lot. The two TJs that I had with LSD I had to special order both. Dealers figured the average Joe on the street didn't know what a LSD was let alone want to part with the nearly $300 to buy it. Since most cars are purchased off the dealer lot, well, you do the math.

This quote would more likely be your "Rule of Thumb" Anthrax. The LS was always a special order item even back in the day (pre 1990?) when the "Upcountry" package included that rare 3.73 gear package you also thought you had in your 2001. The percentage of forest service, police, and public utility xjs with LS (probably) far exceeds that found in the majority of off the shelf xjs.

My 88 has the tow package. Hitch, tranny cooler and LSD.

Oh, and the full size spare on a matching factory allow wheel....

No special model, just a well equipped Laredo.

XJ"s with LS came with a full size spare, tow package included a full size spare, however full size spare was also an individual option in the earlyer years. So, if you see a full size spare, it does not insure a LS, need to look for a tag on the diff that says "add friction modifier".

Full sized spares and towing package have nothing to do with a LSD. Not sure why you thought that.

Any XJ that came with LSD had to have a full size spare so incase you got a flat in the rear and had to put on the spare, the tires would be the same size so the clutches in the LSD wouldn't burn up. So they actually do have something to do with each other....

be happy you have the open carrier, that means you can fit a lunchbox locker in there. FWIW clutch type LSD's dont do much anyway, unless overshimmed, and if you do that, you run the risk of cracking the carrier

My 98 Limited XJ 2wd has the factory tow package with MOPAR hitch connector and factory trans cooler but I have the dingy spare....I just assumed it was because my rig was a 2wd model. My friend has an 01 Sport 4x4 with no factory tow package and the dingy.

Back