• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone know where to test drive a Subaru WRX around SLO?

I can't help you with a place for a test drive, but I can say that you have great taste. I have wanted the Subura WRX STI for a while. I actually almost bought one a few months ago. I test drive one from a private seller. It was about a year old. Once my wife realized it had 300 horse power and she then saw how I planed to drive it, that car was OUT! I should have softened her up to the idea of the car before I hit 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds getting onto the 10 freeway and when I tried to find the top speed, which I never found. I chickened out at 125mph and let off the pedal. We eventually bought a different car, which the wife says was a compromise. We bought a Kia Spectra. I don't see the compromise there. I was certain that when we went down to the dealership they were going to require a testical donation or something. I figured no guy with a "pair" would drive one of those things, but I guess you have to lower the man pride in this terrible economy. Eventually I will get the car, but it is going to take some major persuasion skills with the wife and a lot more money before that happens. Good luck with the car search. You are going to love the WRX.

Last edited:
I can't help you with a place for a test drive, but I can say that you have great taste. I have wanted the Subura WRX STI for a while. I actually almost bought one a few months ago. I test drive one from a private seller. It was about a year old. Once my wife realized it had 300 horse power and she then saw how I planed to drive it, that car was OUT! I should have softened her up to the idea of the car before I hit 0 to 60 in 4.4 seconds getting onto the 10 freeway and when I tried to find the top speed, which I never found. I chickened out at 125mph and let off the pedal. We eventually bought a different car, which the wife says was a compromise. We bought a Kia Spectra. I don't see the compromise there. I was certain that when we went down to the dealership they were going to require a testical donation or something. I figured no guy with a "pair" would drive one of those things, but I guess you have to lower the man pride in this terrible economy. Eventually I will get the car, but it is going to take some major persuasion skills with the wife and a lot more money before that happens. Good luck with the car search. You are going to love the WRX.

but you have a kick ass Jeep.... :p

I drove one the other day for the 1st time. It was a WRX and it was fun. I can only imagine how the STI feels. 300 ponies is nice on the street :p

i dunno man, i didnt like the STi very much. Didnt feel i was getting enough for what i was paying for. Lag city. The evo was waaay worse on lag. Im thinkin of picken up a 996 turbo 01-04. Theres a car you can take to the track.

i dunno man, i didnt like the STi very much. Didnt feel i was getting enough for what i was paying for. Lag city. The evo was waaay worse on lag. Im thinkin of picken up a 996 turbo 01-04. Theres a car you can take to the track.

yeah, the Boost lag on it sucks. I though it wouldnt be so bad what with it having a small turbo and all...

I agree the lag is a bit slow but you have to drive it as a momentum car. Keep it rolling and the revvs up and it is a great time.

The big problem with the STI is the AWD TC, under constant force change loads it FAILS and the dealer does not warranty it. The clutch packs in it burn up and it is 3k (I think) to replace it. Under normal street driving it is great with no issues.

yeah im selling my F150 to try and get an 02-05 WRX. not STI ( insurance ) 230hp stock is not bad and it's pretty easy to get to 300hp with out even touching the turbo. not to mention 30MPG :D and sorry BHICKS about the KIA that royally sucks man.

and there is one 09 at Rancho Grande Motors in SLO but i'd like to drive an 02-05

Last edited:
what you guys think about Nissan 240SX's ( S14 ) heres the list of mods:

Injen Intake
Dual N1 style cat back
Rota P45R 18x9.5 +20 Rims with 235-40-18 tires
Z32 (300zx) 26 mm Front calipers with slotted/cross drilled rotors
Brand new S14 front 5 lug hubs with S14 LCA & S14 rear 5 lug hubs
Megan Street Coilovers
Megan Ver. 2 Short Shifter
Nismo GT Shift Knob
Circuit Sports Drift Knob - Red
New Rack & Pinion
New Fan Clutch
New Alternator
Pulled/Rolled Front Fenders and Rolled Rear Fenders
JVC head unit
Aftermarket speaks (but don't know what they are, they came with the car)

what you guys think about Nissan 240SX's ( S14 ) heres the list of mods:

Injen Intake
Dual N1 style cat back
Rota P45R 18x9.5 +20 Rims with 235-40-18 tires
Z32 (300zx) 26 mm Front calipers with slotted/cross drilled rotors
Brand new S14 front 5 lug hubs with S14 LCA & S14 rear 5 lug hubs
Megan Street Coilovers
Megan Ver. 2 Short Shifter
Nismo GT Shift Knob
Circuit Sports Drift Knob - Red
New Rack & Pinion
New Fan Clutch
New Alternator
Pulled/Rolled Front Fenders and Rolled Rear Fenders
JVC head unit
Aftermarket speaks (but don't know what they are, they came with the car)

boo.

how much are you looking to spend?

guy was wanting to trade. doubt i'd trade with him. too old/ underpowered.

and for a WRX im wanting to spend around $10,000

i know of a twin turbo g35 making 550 to the wheels, and those arnt dyno queen numbers. that was on pump 91 octane and conservative boost. dude wants $14K. im lookin into it myself.

And put the rest of that 10k into bolt ons and suspension, you could be puttin down some serious power and torque and handle decent too.

I've always liked the G35 better than 350Z/370Z, back seat, softer ride and almost as fast on the race track. I think it was Car and Driver tested one of each at a track and the G35 was within a second or something like that of the 350Z.

My ideal fast car is a Factory 5 roadster kit car with a supercharged 347 stroker built on an A-4 block and pressurized with a Kenne Bell, 6 speed Tremec, Narrowed 9 incher with 4:10's and a detroit. Some day...........some day.

Back