• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exploring the lakes of the Mt Hood National Forest

nightfoam

NAXJA Forum User
So while I enjoy wheeling, my true passion is exploration. I'm pretty active over at PNWAdventures.com and this past weekend, I lead a trip through the Mt Hood National Forest. I thought I'd repost my trip report over here as I was encouraged to do so by some NAXJA members a while back.
We always welcome new members and we do trips every few weeks around the northwest.

Things started out nice, at least for me. The sunrise was rather unusual as it appeared to be glowing over a ridgeline, it was hard to capture but I tried.

sunrise.jpg

The plan was to meet at the Territory restaurant, in Welches next to the fire station. However, when I got there, I discovered the restaurant I was thinking of was actually named differently, I think the Barlow Country restaurant? It has managed to escape my mind. Anyway, I headed a bit east in case the Territory was actually up further, it wasn't. I did, however, pull through the Tollgate Campground just as Brian was pulling out so after a brief discussion, we headed down to the restaurant where Eric was just pulling in. As we talked in the parking lot, Rich and Jan pulled in and we decided to go in and eat. Shortly after sitting down, Mick and Joey joined us.
After breakfast, I headed down the hill a ways looking for lost members of our party, then back up toward the Still Creek road, which turned out to be a good thing because there was a detour in place since last winter because of storm damaged roads. After not finding anybody, I headed back to Welches to find that Larry and Jeff had joined our group. After waiting till 830 for any stragglers, we headed out, briefly on the highway before turning off on Road 20 just past Rhododendron. The road first wandered through some cabins before following one stream then another and eventually, Still Creek as we climbed uphill.
Shortly, we came out on the west side of Trillium Lake, opposite the popular campground. We circled around the south end of the lake, stopping at a day-use parking area near the dam. Normally this locale has a wonderful view of Mt Hood but with the inclimate weather, we saw nothing but clouds.

trillium.jpg

After allowing a few members to use the facilities there, we headed back for the highway and turned south/east till we got to Frog Lake. Frog Lake also boasts and wonderful view of Mt Hood but, once again, we were foiled by the clouds. At least Brian was able to let his dog, Wally, out of the car to play

froglake.jpg

Then it was back on the highway for a few short miles before we turned off on the 2660 road which zigzag along the hillside above Clear Lake, offering the occasional glimpse down at the lake. We then turned west on the 58 road and beelined for High Rock, which usually offers views of at least two Cascade peaks, but, as the day was going, offered clouds... This time we were up in the clouds.

highrockpano.jpg

From there, we explored down the road toward Frazier Turnaround Campground. I was promised a very nice drive though it turned out to be not much. I think if there was less rain and more blue sky the road would be a lot more pleasant. As is the Backroad Driver's way, we skipped bypasses along the road that, while looking fun, would only increase erosion.

Brianbypass.jpg

metrees.jpg

ericbypass.jpg

So, after driving down to the turnaround, turning around and driving back up. We decided to head straight for Little Crater Lake. Brian's picture does as much justification for the location that a pictue can do. It really is an amazing spot, I believe the lake is about 60 feet across and 45 feet deep, feed by an artesian well. The water is cold, hovering about 45 degrees, even in the hottest days of summer.
After eating lunch and bidding farewell to Larry, who had to head out, we decided to skip Timmothy Lake because of the time and instead chose to head straight for Olallie Lake. After passing the Historic Clackamas Ranger station, we came to a junction. The signs pointed ahead, telling us it was 28 miles to Olallie. However, my GPS was pointing left, on an unpaved road indicating 14 miles. Since we are the Backroad Drivers, not the highway drivers, we chose to turn left. After a short distance, we passed a sign telling us the road was unmaintained and primitive. Didn't stop us... The road actually turned out to be not too bad. A few potholes but overall, it was in decent shape. After a while, we started seeing lakes, passing a number of smaller unnamed lakes on our approach to Olallie.
Unfortunately, we were again robbed of a famous view, this time of Mt Jefferson. After stopping for a few minutes to stretch our legs, maybe munch some Huckleberries and breifly admire a frog I caught, we said farewell to Mick and Joey and continued south.
Just past Horseshoe Lake, we passed a series of signs indicating that the road was unmaintained and quite primitive, exactly what we were expecting.

primitiveroad.jpg

We stopped at a switchback where there I'd read there was a decent view. With a quick scramble onto a line of rocks atop a ridge, we were presented with an overlook of Olallie and Monon Lakes below us. It was also one of our only moments of sunshine throughout the day.

overlookpano.jpg

Again we piled into rigs and continued up the hill, following the rough road as it looped up and over hills and down again toward Breitenbush Lake, just inside the Warm Springs Indian Reservation boundry. Shortly after passing the lake, the road traveled along a ridge, allowing us a view into the Mt Jefferson Wilderness and of Pyramid Butte

pyramidbutte.jpg

The five of us then continued down to the 46 road. At that point, Brian and his family headed back toward Little Crater Lake where they were camped. Eric decided to head home as well, leaving just three. After a brief discussion, we chose to head down to Detroit, where we crossed the Breitenbush River as well as French Creek before turning up the 2203 road following French Creek for a few miles. Our goal was Phantom Natural Bridge, a rare natural arch several miles up along a ridgeline. Not knowing the exact way, we relied on my MHNF map, which showed the location at the end of the road. The 2203 zigzaged up and over hillsides as we climbed from 1500 feet in Detroit to over 4500 feet at the top. There were several spots where the road clung to cliffs upward of 1000 feet above the canyon below us.

cliffsideroad.jpg

FrenchCreekvalley.jpg

Once we finally reached the top, Rich, Jeff and I started out along the trail in the rain. After a short distance, Rich decided to turn around and head back to the car. Jeff and I continued on but after I stopped for a second, we got seperated and when I continued on, I missed the short side-trail to the arch, instead hiking on for another third of a mile at least before finally deciding I had better turn back. One of the factors aiding in my decision to turn around was three seperate cougar prints I saw in the mud, heading in the same direction I was heading. Upon my return, I found the trail to the arch and stopped to check it out. I think with nicer weather I would've taken some more time to find a more suitable photo location but I was already soaked to the bone so I just grabbed a quick shot before heading back to the cars.

phantomnaturalbridge.jpg

We then headed back downhill, where at the bottom, we stopped and said our goodbyes, though we all shortly ended up at Detroit Dam to use the facilities. Further down into the valley, the sky cleared up enough that those traveling west were treated to a wonderful view of the evening clouds and sun.

clouds.jpg

I'm a little disappointed that the weather wasn't better but that will just encourage a return trip to several areas. I think the Breitenbush/Olallie region could use some more exploring and camping and once the 2207 road is reopened there will be a nice loop from Mehama/Lyons to Detroit up through the Elkhorn mining district. Hopefully another trip can be done through some of this area.

More of that thread here

WOW! amazing pictures Ryan ! Olallie def has some great scenic stuff ! You can see soooo many lakes from the top overlook. its something everyone should see at some point. we tried to get up there in the snow this year and did not even come close. I think early June is the time to go.

I recognize a few guys on that forum..

This is the kind of thing i am into. thats what i initially bought my first jeep for!

Thanks Rod, I've been using a borrowed DSLR for a few months and I think I'm getting the hang of it.
FWIW, I know of somebody who camped up at Olallie 4th of July weekend and tried to drive over the hill to Breitenbush and ran into six-foot snow drifts at 5500 feet. I think the most photogenic would be a nice day just after the snow starts to accumulate

After seeing your post on the way home I went and stomped around trillium lake and some other trails i new from my younger days. I will post some pics up

Back