• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case questions?

Silent

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 XJ sport, I am thinking about doing an axle swap. One thing I am wondering is what xfer cases I have to choose from, and which one is best? Sorry, I cannot find anything on the search, or I am brainless. Please advise.

Thanks,
Silent

What t-cases you have to choose from? For simplicity, there were two t-cases offered in the XJ from 87-01...the NP231 (part-time 4wd) or the NP242 (full-time 4wd).

Why are you asking about t-cases when you say you're thinking about an axle swap??

Well, I am thinking of going from 2wd to 4wd. I have time, so I am just looking at getting the parts little by little. I am trying to get an idea what parts I need, as well as the better ones to choose from.

Thanks,
Silent

If you're converting to 4WD, don't forget that you'll need a 4WD transmission as well. The 2WD transmission has a longer "tail" than the 4WD - so just swapping the tailshaft housing for a transfer case adapter won't do it.

Since you're swapping, you've got options. The NP231 and NP242 were OEM, but you can also go with an Atlas, a STaK, or a Dana 300 if you can find one. All mount to the same bolt pattern - which was actually set by the Dana 300, as I recall...

5-90

Well, I was looking and I can find used 231 or 242 cheaper than brand new aftermarkets. Which is better the 231 or 242. Also, what tranny would I need for that as well?

Thanks,
Silent

Depends. If you want FT4WD, get the NP242. I've also heard that the planetary gearset in the NP242 has more "planet" gears, which means that the load is spread a little more (and less stress on each geartooth, which contributes to overall longevity.)

If you don't need FT4WD, you can use the NP231. Both are chain-driven, and I'd prefer gears... If you get a used NP231 or NP242, I'd highly suggest you give it a going-through, if you didn't already plan to.

Either should work neatly with any transmission using the Dana 300/NP transfer case mounting pattern - and if you want to know more about the various transmission outputs, I'd suggest going to either the Novak Adapters or Advance Adapters sites - both are quite informative. You may want to get your transmission first, so you know what sort of output to match up to (there are a number of input gears available for the NP231, and probably for the NP242 as well - as well as other transfer cases.) It's a bigger job to change the transmission output than it is to change the transfer case input - since the entire transmission mainshaft would want changing anyhow.

I'm going to assume you have the AMC242/4.0L inline six - which means the easiest (and most direct) swaps would be either the AW4, AX-15, or NV3500. The AW4 is a fairly common box, but you'll need electronics if you don't have them already (if you have a 2WD AW4, you have all the electronics you need for the trasnmsission already in place, since they work the same internally.) The AX-15 and NV3500 will both bolt right up, but converting from the auto would take a small bit of work. However, any of those three would work handily with the NP231/NP242 (if you don't happen to get a transfer case with the transmission when you get it!) and can readily accept a Dana 300 (and other cases) with the proper input configuration - again, Novak or AA should be able to give you information on that.

Help any?

5-90

Back