• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Fun in the Desert". JV, Sept 25-27

mattyj

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if any of you boys will be attending the Victor Valley 4 Wheelers event "Fun in the Desert" in Johnson Valley on Sept 25-27.

Funds raised, go towards helping keep our JV trails open for all to enjoy.

Last year they had about 100 rigs running about 8 different trails. All levels of wheeling will be catered for.

I'll be there leading one of the runs so i hope to see some of you out there.

More info here:
http://www.victorvalley4wheelers.com/fitd/overview/

Matty, what trail are you leading?

Santa, I can sure see not going to JV a week before leaving for Moab...... :)

I might come out and check it out. Do you know what part of the lake they set up at?

I dont know that I can afford to pay for any runs (and it sounds like I only can do one of them w/o a locker), but it might be fun just to meet people and such.

Will there be any trail runs on Sunday?

I'll be out there from Thursday night through till Sunday afternoon. I'm sure there will be a few running some different stuff on Sunday.

No runs are for open axle? I noticed someone posted that above? You pay for each trail you go on? How does it work?

You can register on line or at the event. The organised trail runs will be on Saturday. You will pay for and run 1 trail.
Of course you can run whatever you like before and after the organised runs.

The trail descriptions are as follows:
(taken from the VV4W's website)

All 7 of our trails are rated on a 1 to 5 scale, with 5 being the most difficult.

They are rated for the most difficult part of the trail. Two solid lockers are recommended with a requirement of at least a working limited slip in front and a solid locker in the rear. 33″ or larger tires are required and low gears are necessary. All CA4WDC Inc. safety requirements will be enforced. No one will be allowed on the trail who does not meet these requirements….NO EXCEPTIONS. Please make sure your vehicle is in top operating condition. These trails are tight and have very few escape routes. An extradition crew will be available to assist those in need. There will be very few spotters available, so it behooves each driver to watch the vehicles in front of him/her to ascertain the correct path.
These trails are designed for short wheelbase vehicles. Some trails will not permit full-size and/or long wheelbase vehicles. Minor body damage is a distinct possibility for any vehicle. The trails are also very technical in nature. They require low gears not horsepower.
Sledgehammer

This is our original trail. The canyon is part of the Fissure Mountain Trail. It is broken into three sections with a total length of about 1.2 miles. It is non-stop technical rock crawling from the bottom to the top. This trail is rated at 5. On the top, the trail continues across the mountain with a couple of hill climbs and descends on the east side, down the original up-hill. The downhill is an experience all in its own. A full size vehicle can make this trail. 35 inch tire. Rear locker and front limited slip alright.
Jackhammer

This is now the king of the hills. This trail is the toughest of the group. It is a righteous 5+, with the only relief on top, where you go up a narrow rocky ridge. There you make a hard right turn onto a narrow, off-camber section across the top. Then you come to a steep downhill into a whole new section of rocks, tight turns and drop-offs. This trail has real pucker factor and is not recommended for full-size vehicles. 35 inch tires and front and rear lockers.
Clawhammer

This is the baby of the hammers. When you think baby, think baby Huey. A full 4+, a little shorter than the others but still very demanding. A full-size can make this run. We have added an optional 5+ canyon at the top which is very loose and steep. 33 inch tires, rear locker and front limited slip.
Aftershock

A little different from the rest, a more typical trail. First, up a sandy wash with rock obstacles here and there. A cruise until all of a sudden there’s “depreciation knob” so named by a very experienced driver with a full-size vehicle. Twisting back and forth, up, over and through the rocks you’ll wish your vehicle was hinged in the middle. A conservative 4+. 33 inch tires, front and rear limited slips alright.
Sunbonnet Pass

A definite 5 here, it’s actually two canyons. You start off with the smaller one and pass through “Sunbonnets Gate”. Make a sharp right turn up and over the rocks as you pass through the gate. If you are lucky enough to make it to the top, you get to come down “Sunbonnet Slide”. Assuming you make it through the squeeze, the rest of the trail is no more difficult than say, Sledgehammer. Full-size rigs cannot make it through Sunbonnet Gate and will play heck making it through the squeeze.
Outer Limits

The newest and perhaps the most technical of the trails, with a minimum rating of 5. You travel out around the hills to the east. Then work your way across the rough alluvial, following the cairns and enter the canyon. Up another twisty rocky climb, not as steep as Jackhammer. Then through three squeezes which will leave their mark on your short wheelbase vehicles. One of the squeezes requires putting one of your tires on top of rocks and snaking through off camber. This trail is not for full-size vehicles. 35 inch tires and front and rear lockers
Wrecking Ball

This trail is the tightest and most technical of all our trails. Some will regard this as the toughest and very demanding trail. 36 inch tires and front and rear lockers
Fissure Mountain

For those that are not ready for the hammers or want to go on an easier run. Most vehicles can do it with a moderate lift, under armor, 32s and a rear locker or limited slip or 35s with out locker if you dare. The beginning of the trail is a 3+ for about 1 mile than it gets easier and sightseeing over all the valleys in the area. we also cross the Landers fault line and can see it in both directions. Near the end of the trail you can split the group up for the more equipped vehicles to make a run at the original jackhammer its a 3+ with a 45 degree climb down the side of the mountain only the better equipped vehicles will be allowed to do this part of the run
A word of advice for all these trails, bring your tire repair kits!

FITD 2009 Updates

FITD 2009 will be September 25th - 27th. We hope you enjoyed FITD ‘08 and we look forward to seeing you in ‘09.

Basically the experienced only. Gotcha. Well, maybe another time.

Actually you could still have a lot of fun just cruising around out there. There is alot of different types of terrain, stuff for all levels. Im sure you wouldnt be the only non-modified rig out there too.

You could also come out and possibly ride along with someone, or drive to a trail head and walk and watch. Plus there is still the raffle and dinner!!

If I had money and my gears done I'd probably go out for Fissure mountain, but I'm still running the stock 3.55s. Might still try it if I have the money to get out there but would hate to be the one slowing everyone down on a larger event.

If I had money and my gears done I'd probably go out for Fissure mountain, but I'm still running the stock 3.55s. Might still try it if I have the money to get out there but would hate to be the one slowing everyone down on a larger event.
What do you need to get your gears done?

Money. I've got the gears, the install kit, but I have no money or knowledge...:)

A set of HIDs? Brand new never installed...I might hopefully have my truck on the road by then to bring the axle instead of driving the Jeep down.

I don't have much in the way of tradable commodities. I probably won't have the cash until after the event, so if I go, I'll probably just run it with stock gears and do the gears at some point after.

Basically the experienced only. Gotcha. Well, maybe another time.

I might be going out there even though It doesn't sound like I can run that stuff :).

PM me if u want maybe we can drive around and explore or something, even if its not that weekend and such either :).

A set of HIDs? Brand new never installed...I might hopefully have my truck on the road by then to bring the axle instead of driving the Jeep down.

I don't have much in the way of tradable commodities. I probably won't have the cash until after the event, so if I go, I'll probably just run it with stock gears and do the gears at some point after.
What kind of HID's? got pics?

Back