• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00 XJ 4.0l - oil pressure too high?

dan42green

NAXJA Forum User
Noticed while driving yesterday, the oil pressure just about maxes out the gauge (a little below 80psi), after it warms up it will settle down a little more at idle but start driving and it goes up.

Your oil pressure sending unit is bad. Just replaced one on a 99 doing the same thing.

Nick

Running a Fram filter?

Your oil pressure sending unit is bad. Just replaced one on a 99 doing the same thing.

Nick

When I went out to run it a minute ago it did seem to fluctuate some and not in a normal manner. I think may be right.

Bosch filter I believe is on there or possibly mobil1.

Double check the head to firewall ground strap.

Noticed while driving yesterday, the oil pressure just about maxes out the gauge (a little below 80psi), after it warms up it will settle down a little more at idle but start driving and it goes up.

am I understanding correctly that it "almost maxes" the gauge at 80ps and only "drops a little" at idle? You've either got a bad sending unit or a shorted wire leading to the sending unit (through the gauge) as if the pressure were dropping due to a plugged filter, it wouldn't come up with engine speed.

Back