• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem puttin it in park

SINCITY192

NAXJA Forum User
tryna get the little kinks out of the new steering column i put in and one thing i noticed is after i been driving around if i put it in park the key wont turn all the way to the off position unless i push the lever harder into park.
why do i have to do this whats slipping that it cant tell its in park?
because i put in park and then i have to push on the shifter lever again towards the park for it to actually park
hope this makes sense
i have a 88 xj 4.0 6cyl

there's a shift interlock cable between the shifter and the column that needs to be adjusted correctly to get the key to turn back. I can't remember the procedure, but I'm sure with a quick search on "shift interlock" you can find it.

IIRC there is an adjustment in the console, just forward of the shifter.

Help me out here guys i searched all over and im not getting clear info on how to adjust this interlock cable and also where is it? do i have to take anything apart to get to it?

Column or floor shifter?

Column shifter does not have the park interlock cable, I believe.

You have to pull the center console to get to the cable adjustment.

Its a 88 xj renix system 4.0 6cyl auto trans if that helps
cause i dont know how to tell column or floor shifter
How do i tell and as far as i know the part on the column that tells it your in park is a little black piece that u have to hook a cable or pole to right?
I remember making sure that was on before putting the column on the jeep
also by the centor console do you mean the bezel where the gauges, radio, etc, are?

column shift= the lever you move with your hand to change gears is located on the steering column.

floor shift= located on the floor, centered between the seats ahead of the parking brake handle.

center console= plastic stuff running fore/aft between the seats. Usually has an arm rest/ grove box and a well that the parking brake handle rests in.

so I have floor shift thanks! and now i know what the center console is (WTF) was i thinking any way so i take the center console off and then ill see the cable how do i adjust it I dont see anything on this in the FSM i downloaded

Back