• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap hood vents

tonysinnette

NAXJA Forum User
Got some $10 hood vents on ebay and got them on this weekend. Didnt turn out too bad, and I'm seeing about a 15-20 degree drop in temp.

SN151761.jpg

SN151760.jpg

whats the point of hood vents? in the past 4 xjs i have never had an overheating problem, even in the hot, humid alabama heat

Here with 105+ summers I run very hot. The hood vents are made to lower underhood temps. Most guys dont really see a big drop in engine temp that I have seen, but these have brought mine down to about 190-200 which is quite a bit less than I have been running

not best pic but i have these $5 wall vent from home depot screwed in the hood. and as i off road, there's LARGE amount of heat raising out of the vents. id image that i could be running a bit hotter than i did with them.

DSC02015.jpg

I vented the hood before on a 66 J10 pickup with good results but I added the Lebaron vents to a 91 XJ and it did not make any noticeable difference to the engine temp. It was very dissapointing to cut holes in a perfectly good hood and then not see any change.

I didn't get much of a drop (if any) in coolant temps, but the underhood temps have got to be better which in turn should help contribute to sensors, hoses, and any other plastic or rubber pieces living longer.

I like my my hood vents. The amount of heat that escapes is unbelievable. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the coolant temp, but you can actually touch the hood after it has been running awhile.

I don't know if it helps running down the highway, but trail riding it has to help.

I didn't get much of a drop (if any) in coolant temps, but the underhood temps have got to be better which in turn should help contribute to sensors, hoses, and any other plastic or rubber pieces living longer.

I like my my hood vents. The amount of heat that escapes is unbelievable. I haven't noticed much of a difference in the coolant temp, but you can actually touch the hood after it has been running awhile.

I don't know if it helps running down the highway, but trail riding it has to help.

This. I haven't seen a drop at all in coolant temps, but like said above, I can actually touch the hood after going on a long drive. I remember even last winter, it was about 45* out and I got up and sat on the hood after an hour drive. I had to get off after 10 minutes because it was too hot, even through my jeans.

I highly doubt the OP saw a 20* drop in coolant temp, that's near impossible. And I also doubt he put a thermocouple under the hood to record the ambient temp.

not best pic but i have these $5 wall vent from home depot screwed in the hood. and as i off road, there's LARGE amount of heat raising out of the vents. id image that i could be running a bit hotter than i did with them.
Looks like crap though!!

is it seriously that big of a deal to have ""lower" underhood temps? my hood is normally that hot because of the amount of direct sunlight that it encounters.

is it seriously that big of a deal to have ""lower" underhood temps? my hood is normally that hot because of the amount of direct sunlight that it encounters.
Every little bit helps. If my hoses last a few months longer, then it's worth it to me. If all it does is blow hot air on my windshield in the winter time, then at least I get help de-icing...
Seriously, why is it such a big deal to you that other people have put hood vents on their Jeeps? You don't like em, so we won't try to convince you to put hood vents in. Do you really need to post in every thread about hood vents and say there's no point?

I just did a stick on summit special cowel induction and cut the biggest hole i could for it, peeled off the backing on the double sided tape and stuck her on. If nothing else i like the piece of mind and the looks. But when i open my hood up after driving it i can still tell it makes a difference in underhood temps. And this last trip to moab it kept an even 200*. If you don't think underhood temps matter then don't vent your hood. But for some of us it can mean the difference between a day of wheeling with no overheating problems and a day with. Especialy at low speeds.

According to my ScanguageII, the intake air temp is about 160F on a normal 90F day in Texas. So you can make a big difference by having a well ventilated hood

Back