• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8.25...27 or 29 spline?

SeeJay

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Cherokee with the 8.25, is there any visual difference or do I need to pull the axle to see what spline count I have?

Reason for asking is I want to order a lock-rite but don't want to pull it apart until the installation.

'00 has a 29 spline axle. There is no visual difference, so somebody COULD have swapped in an early, 27 sp. axle.
If you really want to make sure, call a dealer with your vin. They can confirm it rolled out with the 8.25.

'00 has a 29 spline axle. There is no visual difference, so somebody COULD have swapped in an early, 27 sp. axle.
If you really want to make sure, call a dealer with your vin. They can confirm it rolled out with the 8.25.

From the factory, a 2000 definitely rolled off the assembly line with the 29-spline. Yes, it's possible, but unlikely, that someone swapped in a 27-spline axle. But HOW would the VIN confirm or deny this?

Besides, the build sheet will not say whether it is 27 or 29. It will just say "Corporate 8.25 axle".

I would pull the axle to make sure. Trust me buying a locker, axles, and gears for a 29spline and then to find out some dumba## swaped a 27 spline in your 98 xj.....Yeah it sucks

That year SHOULD be the 29 spline and mght have a limited slip

Ok thanks, I thought I read somewhere that after 97 that 8.25s became more common but the 29 spline was still a rare find versus the more common 27 spline.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a limited slip, first thing I check on the test drive with a mini burnout ha.

I would pull the axle to make sure. Trust me buying a locker, axles, and gears for a 29spline and then to find out some dumba## swaped a 27 spline in your 98 xj.....Yeah it sucks

Did this happen to you? Or did yours just come with a 27 spline?

A bit of an off topic question but....in 2000 for an AW4 4.0L the standard gear ratio was 3.55 with no exceptions correct?

Last edited:
Well anything is possible. Just did my friends 99 with a Dana 35 under it!!!!?!?
Just do the little homework you have to in order to prevent in turning into a giant headache later

96 is the year that the early models got the 27spline and the later models(after 5/96, but you know how Jeep is w/ parts in the corner) got the 29spline

As far as I can remember, You can't buy a Lock Rite for the 8.25 because Richmond Gear doesn't make one. I had to get a Richmond No Slip for My 01. It was a 29 spline. I have read that Aussie Locker is making one for the 8.25 now but I have no experience with them. I can recommend the No Slip as it has been a great upgrade.

I think even the 27 spline is strong enough from the research I have done. I plan on only running 33s with a wheeling trip about once a month.

did 2000 cherokees ever come with another gear ratio besides 3.55?

A good peice of info.
Axles

Front Axles
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01

Rear Axles
Rear Axle pics including non stock ford 8.8 and 9" and D60- http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...7_182_full.jpg
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

Gearing

3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.
4.56 - rare but can be found on some older (~ 89 ~) models with 2.5L engine and auto transmission

After some research it seems that alot of people prefer even the 27 spline corp 8.25 over the dana 35, then again I am a new guy just doing some reading ha.

27 splines is not strong enough for what you intend to use it. It's weaker than the 35 mainly because of the neck down area.

Wrong! The 27 spline 8.25 is still stronger than a D-35. I know plenty of folks that have beat the living h*** out of the 27 spline 8.25 on 35's and lower gearing. You will not get far on a D-35 with 35's and even stock gearing. I would still suggest going to a 29 spline 8.25 or a 8.8 for added insurance.
Your 00' should have the 29 spline in it unless it has been changed. I have 5 XJ's, a 90,94, (2) 96's and a 00'. One of the 96's came with the 29 spline 8.25 the other with a D-35 which I tossed in the trash. My 00' has the 29 spline 8.25 and I upgraded the 90 and 94 to 29 spline axles as well.

Powertrax has a No-slip offering for the Cryco 8.25.

I like mine a LOT.

Only thing you have to make sure of, is that you DON'T have the limited slip.

Not sure if powertrax has something for the limited slip.

As far as I can remember, You can't buy a Lock Rite for the 8.25 because Richmond Gear doesn't make one. I had to get a Richmond No Slip for My 01. It was a 29 spline. I have read that Aussie Locker is making one for the 8.25 now but I have no experience with them. I can recommend the No Slip as it has been a great upgrade.
I have a lock rite in my 8.25. I don't like it much though and I wish I had saved my pennies for a detroit.

Back