• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel system prob? (Screw apartment living)

Widgetjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday morning my '99 XJ wouldn't start, just kept cranking and cranking until I jammed on the throttle. Then it jumped to life, but would die as soon as I took my foot off the gas. We danced this little dance for a few times before I got tired of it. Any ideas? I'm thinking fuel pump/filter problems, and since I live in an apartment now with communal parking, how much of a pita (to me and the people parked next to me) would it be to change those? I need a driveway of my own...

A bad TPS usually causes acceleration and auto transmission shifting issues.

Sounds like you need a new battery.

For 1997-2001 (and maybe 1996) OBD-II the engine computer (ECU or PCM) re-boots and the idle settings are deleted when: (1) you let the battery rundown by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) or when the battery goes bad and needs replacing.

Your symptoms are; difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and the engine will have low idle and will probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal.

The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of time and the engine will start and idle normally. If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

Cleaning the IAC and using fuel injector cleaner should be part of your routine preventative maintenance.

Last edited:
make sure you can hear the fuel pump turn on (get a buddy if needed) when you turn the accessories on...

check the fuel lines for any kinks or un-factory bends (ask me how i know!)

take off and clean TPS

when running take battery to go get it tested ( or take battery out of vehicle and with buddy go test it at local parts store)

start here and report back!

Did I forget to mention that my "check engine" light has been on and off for the last couple of days?

Did I forget to mention that my "check engine" light has been on and off for the last couple of days?

The first step then, should be finding out what trouble codes are stored. Stop by a someplace like Autozone, that will pull the codes for free. No sense in trying to diagnose it without finding out what the engine computer thinks is wrong.

Have the Trouble Codes downloaded at the auto parts store. Your Jeep is trying to tell you something is wrong and how to decide what parts to look at.

Have the Trouble Codes downloaded at the auto parts store. Your Jeep is trying to tell you something is wrong and how to decide what parts to look at.

ya get those codes checked! could be minor but start there fo sho... report back what codes it is throwing ya

By the way, though I've always heard the fuel pumps on the old tin tank XJ's, I don't think I've ever heard it on the 99, owing to the damping effect of the plastic tank (and perhaps also the foot and a half of junk that's always on the rear deck), so don't be alarmed if you don't hear it when you turn the key.

By the way, though I've always heard the fuel pumps on the old tin tank XJ's, I don't think I've ever heard it on the 99, owing to the damping effect of the plastic tank (and perhaps also the foot and a half of junk that's always on the rear deck), so don't be alarmed if you don't hear it when you turn the key.

Tin tank XJ??? Yeah, it is a little bit like that.

You know, I just sort of said that, but now that you bring it up, it's not a bad description for the whole thing, is it?

I would say it is fairly accurate. Five forward speeds, one reverse--guaranteed to get you into trouble faster than it can get you out of it!:cheers:

If I ever get vanity plates, that's a top contender now:

license_20090908170621_86584.jpg

I haven;t gotten the codes checked yet, mostly due to the car not starting and also rampant laziness. I have a bike (read: bicycle) that I ride everywhere anyway, so I just hopped on that for the remainder of the weekend.
This morning I tried starting it again and it did crank over (battery was still under warranty so I got a new one) but would only fire up after I laid on the gas. I kept my foot on until the engine warmed to the 120-130 F mark and then the engine was under it's own power. I'll check the codes later today, but any bets on what they'll show?

Back