• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d30?

tsrice

NAXJA Forum User
I have a buddy with a dana 30 with 4.10s out of a 4cyl non vacuum he doesn't know what year it is and it doesn't have shafts knuckles rotors.my question is if i can swap shafts knuckles brakes off of my 90 non vacuum? thanks

I don't have the answer for you, but here is some info I found a while back:

"Front Axles

Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01"

thanks joe I guess I should ask if there is a way to tell which ball joints and knuckle it had because i thought i saw a thread that said they differed? or do I just have to pull one off mine and try it?

thanks joe I guess I should ask if there is a way to tell which ball joints and knuckle it had because i thought i saw a thread that said they differed? or do I just have to pull one off mine and try it?

I know there has been a number of posts on upgrading the axle u-joints and what is doable, but without knowing the year of the donor I don't think those posts would be of much help.

Is the tag on the donor D30? Maybe an email to Dana would get you some additional info.

1990 parts should fit.

D30 hubs, rotors, calipers, outer C steering knuckles, and axle shafts are interchangeable (1990-2001), and HP vs. LP. You just need to have the rotor type, match the hub type, cast vs. composite.

Three different unit hub/bearing assemblies and disk brake rotor types were used over the years on XJ D30's. The unit hub/bearing are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle. The model years for hub/bearing assemblies were:

1) 1984 through 1989 (early type brake rotors/calipers and roller bearing hubs)

2) 1990 through 1999.5 (composite brake rotors)

3) 1999.5 through 2001 (cast brake rotors).

Two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides are different part numbers.

Last edited:
Back