• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper poll JCR or Detours

xjnewbi

NAXJA Forum User
I need to make a purchase soon and just wanted to hear the latest. The Detours Tailbone has been out for a while and I've read mostly good things - then again, can't really go wrong with JCR stage 3. I don't really need a whole bumper as much as the spare tire carrier. But JCR is currently running 20% off just about everything so the JCR stage 3 would be $500 and the Detours Tailbone $385. I don't really need a whole new rear bumper, but for another $115 more than the Tailbone, why the hell not.
Since I live in Jersey, one of my concerns is the location of the hinge on the stage 3. Mr Policeman and Mr inspection station worker may decide to screw me over because the hinge at least partially blocks the reverse light on the passenger side.

Opinions please

have your reverse lights mounted in the bumper..I would go with the JCR..

yeah, that's an option too. Thanks

Tailbone owners, how is it holding up and are you satisified with the mounting and latching mechanism?

Has anyone mounted a HiLift on it? Any pictures of this would be greatly appreciated because my fab skills are just plain bad. My concern with this is that I would be mounting a 33 mudder on steelies so overall weight might become an issue w/ 60" HiLift.

I have been running the Detours for a little over a year. I went with it for 2 main reasons: 1 – it does not cover any of the tail light/reverse lights, and 2 it wraps all the way around to the fender flare for quarter panel protection, and I was finding no other bumpers at the time that did that in one swoop. It is solid as hell, using more than the stock 8 bolts for mounting, and I do not think you will have a weight problem running the 33 and hi lift.
The only things I have not liked about it are:
-The latching mechanism does great, but with the carrier where it is, it is more in the open that top-mounted carriers. So when at extreme angles and coming off ledges, it gets hit on rocks and such. It has taken quite a few hits and is still working OK, but is a bit bent up. The guy that makes them can put a lower profile one on there if you request it – and I would do that.
-Secondly, I would rather the tire be a little closer to the body, a little higher, and probably pitched forward a little to match the angle of the rear window. Again, if you request it, I would bet he would do this for you. The tire mounts to a plate that is attached to a chunk of hitch steel, and that hitch steel goes into a receiver on the swing-away. All he would need to do is modify the hitch steel.
Despite those draw backs, it was a great investment and I do not regret it at all. Any other questions about it, feel free to ask.

I have been running the Detours for a little over a year. I went with it for 2 main reasons: 1 – it does not cover any of the tail light/reverse lights, and 2 it wraps all the way around to the fender flare for quarter panel protection, and I was finding no other bumpers at the time that did that in one swoop.

Thanks for the insight Floydargue, but it sounds like you have the Detours slimline bumper w/ tire carrier. The Tailbone system doesn't have the wrap around quarter panel guard - it really isn't even a bumper. The Tailbone setup uses the stock bumper skin to go over a swing away tire carrier w/ recovery points built into the mounting setup.

Detours no longer has the slimline bumper on their website but I think they will still build them for custom orders

the slimline is still being produced, i ran into a guy over the weekend with one he said he bought over the summer, i dig the tailbone though, pretty cool concept.

flip a coin. :us:

I have the JCR stage three and it's plenty solid. The tire swing is nice and smooth and they've changed the latch to one that doesn't require a tie to keep it shut. Apparently that used to be a problem, but mine has the new latch and it will not budge unless you want it to. Only complaint? The tire blocks my rear view, but that goes along with having a rear tire carrier. :D

I have the Detours Tailbone... I love it. Of course it's only been on about 2 months and I have yet to take it off road.....

Super easy to install and looks tough as nails...

It does cover the license plate tho.... Even the crappy little relocation bracket they give you does no good. I threw it away and welded a post to the middle of the spare tire mount. Then fabbed up a plate mount and ran wiring for a light.

I like the JCR products, but I love the quality of my Detours slimline bumper. If I was building another XJ I would get the backbone for the front and the tailbone for the rear. Keep the factory look, but have the Detours quality!

Jeep_Photoshoot47.jpg

I have the tailbone and love it! I will be getting my backbone tomorrow. I am sure I will love it as well.
The tailbone latches firmly and does not rattle. I have no complaints yet.

Thanks for all the info, nice pic there Mudderoy - I really like the look of that bumper, but all I really need is the spare tire carrier. I think I prefer the look of the angled tire mount as opposed to vertical mount.
Haven't made up my mind yet but need to decide soon.

I can't complain about my JCR stage 3 rear bumper. It's held up great to all the aubse that I've thrown at it.

If you'd rather have the angled tire mount, I'm sure the JCR fellas would be happy to accommodate you. Just shoot them and email and ask. [email protected]

Back