• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj gauges

alaska3452000@yaho

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 2000 cherokee that has the gauges with the idiot lights instead of the actual gauges. I have owned 6 cherokees in the past 5 years and all of them have had overheating issues. I have replaced the needed parts but now i need a gauge to tell me where the temp is sitting at. I asked the local jeep parts man this question but he dosent know so i am hoping someone on here has tried this and knows the answer. If i buy the gauges out of a junkyard cherokee that has the actual gauges with the gauges work....ie are the wiring harnesses the same? or am i going to have to buy an aftermarket gauge? Thanks.

I have just been addressing the issue of replacing the instrument cluster in my '98 from an idoit light cluster to one with all the guages. From what everyne has told me, there should be no problem if you get one from the same year. Some have said that '97-'99 are interchangeable and '00-'01 are interchangeable as well, but not to cross them up ie; put a '97 cluster into an '01. I plan to stick with one from the same year as mine to be safe. Search the forum for "instrument cluster" and you should be able to find a lot of info on the topic.

Many years ago.... in 2000 I installed a 1997 instrument cluster in my 1998 and there were a few issues to deal with...
The Low Washer indicator stays illuminated on the cluster, the rear window defroster timer no longer energizes and several other indicators do not function properly...
Investigated this problem for a while.... and not until I picked up a wiring harness pinout from MJR for the '97 XJ and compared it to the pinout in my '98XJ FSM; did I find that the ground wires on the instrument cluster bus connectors had changed between 1997 and 1998.
The present instrument cluster is from a 1999 XJ with about 1800 miles less than what my ECM shows...

Ok awesome guys thanks a lot i really appreciate the input. i wanted to find someone who had actually tried it before i went down and pulled one out of another cherokee. Ill give it a shot. i cant imagine a junkyard charging too mush for a gauge cluster any how. Thanks again

I bought a 2001 cluster for a 2001 XJ (birthday present) over the weekend on Ebay. I paid $55 for it with 110k on it and then about $15 to have it shipped. I'm anxious to pop it in there and see what happens.....I was careful to match it year for year.

Ok so just to confirm, the main thing i am looking to gain out of doing this is a actual gauge for the cooling temp. since right now all i have is the idiot light. if i put in the gauge cluster with the actual gauges the cooling temp gauge should work just fine right?

By installing this style instrument cluster; you will gain a Tachometer, water temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge and charging system voltage gauge.
The cluster is a plug and play; nothing else is needed....

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I wanted to report an update to Alaska3452000. I was able to do the cluster swap this weekend and it was by far and away the easiest thing I think I've ever changed in a car. The cluster was a birthday present for someone so we snuck the XJ out and literally changed the cluster in the parking lot of Lowes. It took all of about 14 minutes from start to finish and the cluster works perfectly with no mismatched bulbs or lights that don't function correctly. I would recomment this upgrade to any XJer who's staring at idiot lights.

Back