• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBD2 Wiring diagram? Cannot connect to inspection station

CopperTop

NAXJA Forum User
I have a strange problem and could use some help with it. My Jeep is due for inspection, it passed safety but failed the computer scan portion of the inspection. The inspection station cannot connect to my computer.

I know it's not the station as the car before and after me passed the connection test...

I have 12V constand (pin 16) and ground at the plug, both of which are verified by DMM. I am hoping to find the diagram of the circuit so I can trace the other signals back to the ECM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Check the ground wires at the engine.. The two ground wires run out and connect at the stud on the engine oil dip stick mount .. Mine was left unhooked after a engine swap.. The scan tool would not communicate with the ECU.. Its hard to see the ground wires because of all the wiring in the area.

Good Luck
Nick

Probably not at all related, but I'll throw this out: a number of posters have reported problems with linking the code readers, and their problems were related to shorts in the CPS/CKP. I do not remember if all of them were crank/no start/no link. Try a couple searches and see what you find.

I had one of those shorted cps that wouldn't let the scanner connect(there are some no-bus threads that might help)

I had one of those shorted cps that wouldn't let the scanner connect(there are some no-bus threads that might help)

Would the engine start and run?

Currently my Jeep is running great, just can't connect to the scanner. I have heard of the CPS failing and causing a 'no start'

::UPDATE::
Found OBD2 connector pin 16 was reading low voltage. Traced it down to a shorted/broken wire in the PDC. I figured that was the issue...

Brought it back to the inspection station and it still would not connect. My buddy who owns the staion decided to try his snap-on scanner. Hooked the scanner up and it powered on (ya, we got 12V)

Went to initialize tthe connection to the PCM and the truck sputtered and stalled.

Starting to think it's a bad PCM, I am assuming it is the last year of the older body style and the first year of the OBD2 so I am going to have to find another 96' PCM.....Can anyone verify this for me?

Back