• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HemiCuda Dana 60

dana44

NAXJA Forum User
Hey!

I have found a Dana 60 out of a HemiCuda, can anyone telll me if this can be a good axle to put under my XJ???

Thanks in advance!
Arnt H Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Great axle, even has the 4.5" bolt pattern. Most came with 3.54 gears, the rest had 4.10's. I'd really rather see it under a 'Cuda tho. :) TC

Its a shame its not under the hemi but its perfect for the xj since its within a 1/2 widith of what it has to be. so jump on it.

tugboat said:
what happened to the hemi cuda?????

And how did it get to Norway?

Hey!
The axle has been bought! By me. The HemiCuda was crashed last month, the poor guy that owned and drove the car was killed, sadly. He was a good friend of my father, and his widow asked my father if he needed some of the parts that was left of the wreck, and I had to pay my dad 200$ for the axle, eaven though he got the whole car for free....... But the price was right tough, so I don't mind paying the bucks for it. My father has a HemiCuda from the same year, so he don't need the axle. That's the story anyway, but I'm happy for being the new owner of this piece of high performance motor history.

I think the axle had drum brakes, I haven't seen it yet, how can I convert it to discs? Is there a kit out there somewhere??

Thanks boys!
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

Does this mean you'll be changing your user name soon, Arnt?

Hey Eagle!
I'm working on a Dana 44 front, so I won't, or maybe? No I think I'll stick with dana44 becouse I love the 44, it's such a great axle.
Arnt H. Andresen
Trondheim, Norway

For what you people pay for fuel over there I can't believe you have hemi cuda's. I mean I do believe you, I just can't imagine going out for a drive. Would probably be cheaper to take a vacation to Bermuda or someplace.

Since I own a Hemicar it would be a sad day to see that rare gem under a Jeep... if in fact it was a real HemiCuda. These cars bring $250 - $1 million restored ... predicated what's on the fender tag.

It's taboo to cut up that Dana 60 ... there's a lot of mopar guys that would rather see it back under a Hemicar. I'm generally not superstitious ... but in this case... ummm.

Good luck.

just to note...great axle!!! i had one myself.:)

the 60 details:
1.5" shafts
35 spline
Trak Loc
61.5" wms-wms
5x4.5 bolt pattern

you'll just need to take off the Cuda brackets and put on your own!!!:)
GREAT GRAB.
JOHNNY

You can probably find a Hemi or 440 6-Pac (or AAR) restorer willing to pay enough for that axle to buy & ship a built reverse rotation D60 varient to Norway for the XJ. I would post the Dana build numbers off the axle and ask if there is interest on Mopar message boards.

Only the Cuda AAR's came with disc brakes (IIRC), both 340 6-Pac and the very few dealer installed 440 6-Pac's, but Hemi's and some 440 Cuda's came with the drums. Most 440's came with the 8.75. The true Cuda D60 axles are hard to find, and valuable for restorations, as many were swapped into lighter cars.

My M715 came from the factory with a hemi... A fire breathing Kaiser 230 SOHC six cyl engine! :D

just use the axle!!!!!!!! tell those guys to stop there crying. oh yea if i can remember i think it has disk brakes.....but dont quote me

Hey.
This is what happened last night: A guy from Sweden calls, and says he has heard (trough the jungle telegraph) that I had recently bought myself a HemiCuda Dana 60. He knows I don't have a HemiCuda, and I find that odd. He then tells me he was the first owner of the HemiCuda that particular axle came out of. He had owned that car with my axle in it, but had sold the axle becouse he had two cars, one for parts and one he was restoring. He had sold the wrong axle, but didn't know that until just a pouple of years ago when he was trying to sell the car overseas. The potential buyer wanted to check the numbers, and found that the Dana 60's numbers didn't match, but that the Dana 60 he had installed matched with the parts car. Aware of his mistake he contacted my dad's friend, and explained the problem, but he didn't want to sell. I don't want to be a bitch, so I sold the axle back last night, for 2500$, but the best thing is I will get the Dana 60 from the parts car as part of the deal.

About one hour after the swede called me, my dad (the jungle telegraph) called and asked me if I had gotten any unusual phone calls lately... He had known about the axle's history, and wanted me to make a couple of bucks. He was surprised the swede paid me 2500$ and gave me another Dana 60 in the deal. The "new" Dana 60 I will get next week has recently been overhauled, and It's in great condition. I'm not sure if I'll try to sell it to an enthusiast and make some more money, or if I'll install it into my XJ. Time will show.

Out of only 115 1971 Hemi Cudas made, six ended up in Norway, and five still exist today. My dad's Hemi Cuda is not an original, but built to the exact specs for that year.

The gas price at the moment is 5$, and It's expensive as he.. to drive around, so I walk whenever I can. I have a 6 weeks old son, so I walk around with him in the pram and find that wery satisfying, and it's good for my health. I have recently stopped smoking, so it keeps me thinking of other things than the cigarette. It isn't always a bad thing that the gas is expensive!, altough I would like to see it cost only half og what it cost today.

Anyway, I'll keep my hand off the Dana 60 until I'm finished changing dipers and see what happens then.

Thanks for all the help!
Arnt H. Andresen

So you made 2300$ off an axle you never even saw!???!?!?!?!?! :eek: I wish someone would hook me up with a deal like that! Congrats on the 6 week old. :)

Ary

Arnt,

You're a good man.

By the way, it was reported a 1971 Hemi Cuda just recently sold here in the states for $1 Million---it was an unrestored original.

And, don't find it odd that someone found out about your gem, and the fact you don't own a Hemi Cuda. For the most part ... they are well accounted for with 1 or 2 still in hiding.

FYI: a good built Dana 60 out of a '68 b-body goes for about $2,700 around here---reputable shops won't cut them for use in anything other than a b-body.

Take care.

My God, That is an awesome story. Wonder why my luck never runs that way. Arnt, congrats on the new son and the profit.

Mike

Back