• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't start

jake3240

NAXJA Forum User
So we went wheelin' the other night and got the front end stuck in a deep ditch. after the second recovery attempt (4 banger wrangler on 33's...) The engine wouldn't start. Won't turn over, won't make any clicking noises(Definitely not the battery, everything else is getting power.) Finally we got it free from the ditch (with a pickup & a real wrangler both on 35's in parallel) we looked it over and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. We were able to push start it and drive it home, but still no starter. What's wierd is that it started up just fine 2 or 3 times while it was stuck.
now that I've got it back home I've tried:
-disconnecting & reconnecting the battery cables.
-jumpering the clutch interlock
-took a 12 volt tester to the starter- The main red wire is getting power, but the small green one is not, even while turning the key.
-Took a code reader to it. no error codes.

When I turn the key, the radio & lights all cut off like normal and I hear what sounds like 2 relays or something clicking under the glove box. Seems to me like it could some kind of interlock, but I don't know what all It has as far as that.

Anybody have any ideas what could be keeping it from starting? It's a 97 model BTW. Thanks -Jake

you nail you NSS switch? mine does that occasionally since its caked with rust and crap and who knows what inside. I don't recommend but i heat mine up with a torch for a min and she starts up i only get the problem if i drive short distances and then shut it off. Its on the passenger side of the tranny and has wires coming out of it. This is for an automatic though so i don't even know if you have a nss.

it might be the starter solenoid you can bypass it with a screw driver to see i have a 1996 and sometimes i turn the key and nothing i go under and bypass the solenoid with ignition on and bam it starts up if you need to know how to bypass let me know its easy but if it starts up when you bypass then you need a solenoid

Yeah, I don't think it has a NSS, but I think that bypassing the solenoid would be worth a shot. Would at least keep me from wasting $80 or so on a new starter when it's not the problem. If you wouldn't mind showing me how to do that I'd really appreciate it.

Double check your battery to block and block to firewall grounds.

I second the starter. They don't like wetness and mud. I've been through 4 or 5 starters in the 5 yrs I've owned it...

well, I figured out how to do the screwdriver trick to bypass the solenoid. Fired right up. Guess it's off to the parts store tomorrow. Thanks y'all.

If you mean the screwdriver trick on the starter between the big and small wire made it start, you still don't know whats broke. You just know that it's not the starter or the battery. That still leaves relays, wires, and more. Exactly what do you plan to replace.

Figure I ought to follow up on this post. I got a new starter and put it in and nothing. Then I ordered up the factory service manual up off of ebay. (best $40 I ever spent) Pulled out the multimeter and started doing the tests in the manual and determined that it was an open circuit between the clutch safety switch and the ignition switch. I was going to try & find exactly where the problem was but then realized that that circuit ran over to the passenger side fuse box. at that point I said forget it & ran a new wire & an in line fuse from the ignition switch to the clutch pedal switch. problem solved. I still find it strange how it started fine a couple times while I was still in the ditch and then decided to die all of a sudden. Guess you called it Winterbeater. Long story short, GET THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL FIRST. It's worth it's weight in gold. Thanks guys.

Back