• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vaccum leak engine, where to start?

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi
May have a vaccum leak due to unstable idle. Have heard the vaccum system may cause this problem. Anyone have an idea where to start eliminate..

Have 1997 Sport 4,0L, Manual

disconnect and plug off the vacuum port that supplies vacuum to the reserve cannister

...as a permanent fix??

IMHO I'd be looking for a leak in any of the hoses, fitting and grommets INCLUDING the vac cannister, not permanently disabling my vac reservoir system...and replacing the funky ones.

2 ways.

1) With the motor running spray a touch of starter fluid on all the vacuum connections until you hear the motor jump up about 100rpm. That port is leaking. Clean the engine off after doing this, and I would recommend not doing this with an excessively hot motor.

2) With the motor off, toke up a cigar nice and smokey and unplug a port and blow into it while having a friend look at the rest of the bay. Work your way around till you start to see a leak. This way does not work as well if you ask me, but you get a nice cigar out of it.

Back