• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alarm after door removal

Roxtar

NAXJA Forum User
Pulled the doors on a '92 with power windows/locks.
Reconnected the battery and the headlights started flashing and it won't run, apparently from the factory alarm.

Turned key on/off.
Disconnected/reconnected battery.
Nothing changes.

Suggestions?

put a strap on the pins that turn on the inside lights when you open the door..Then hook up an try the remote if you still have it..If you don't find the power wire to unplug it..HTH..By the way with the straps on you still have the lights inside to see chit at night..

Pulled the doors on a '92 with power windows/locks.
Reconnected the battery and the headlights started flashing and it won't run, apparently from the factory alarm.

Turned key on/off.
Disconnected/reconnected battery.
Nothing changes.

Suggestions?

i beilieve to turn it off you need to put the key in the driver side door and lock and unlock 3 times or something like that. dunno how you are going to do that without the doors tho

HEY, CAN A GUY GET A LITTLE HELP HERE!!!

I mean WTF man, I realize this is such an obscure problem. After all, there can't be more than a hundred doorless rigs on this forum; most of which I'm sure had to face the same problem.

What's happened to naxja? :dunno:
Back in the day; there would be 2 pages of replies by now.

We don't have the remote. Obviously we don't have the doors on to lock/unlock 3 times.

There's got to be 50 people out there with the answer.
One would suffice.

Last edited:
you could try resetting the ECM, i beleive you do that by disconnecting the battery and touching the + and - leads together.

and as to what happened to NAXJA? i have to agree, this place seems to be dying. all the hardcore xjers probably have moved on to pirate

if it is factory, find a key fob, ebay?, and have it programed to your jeep. the factory code should be behind the center thing between the visors, thats where the sensor is
Sorry, no time for that.
Racing this weekend.
Comon guys, lots of people disabling the alarms with wire cutters out there.
How?

quick google search came up with this: Normally, you would insert the key in
the drivers door, turn left, then right
to disarm and reset it. If yours is malfunctioning,
you can disable it for good by doing the following:

The FACTORY ALARM DISARM WIRE IS
green/orange |-| in your case & is
Located in the drivers kick panel.

Once Located, splice into
(strip off a bit of the wires covering to expose
the copper on the wire) either wire with
a simular guage wire, and put it to
a solid chassis ground. Then tape it off.

This terminates
the alarm functions entirely.

However, at this point, this car would be exceedingly
easy to steel, so I suggest you get an aftermarket
alarm system to protect it from here on in.

Let me know how it goes.

ALARMTEK
CARALARMSTORE.com

quick google search came up with this: Normally, you would insert the key in
the drivers door, turn left, then right
to disarm and reset it. If yours is malfunctioning,
you can disable it for good by doing the following:

The FACTORY ALARM DISARM WIRE IS
green/orange |-| in your case & is
Located in the drivers kick panel.

Once Located, splice into
(strip off a bit of the wires covering to expose
the copper on the wire) either wire with
a simular guage wire, and put it to
a solid chassis ground. Then tape it off.

This terminates
the alarm functions entirely.

However, at this point, this car would be exceedingly
easy to steel, so I suggest you get an aftermarket
alarm system to protect it from here on in.

Let me know how it goes.

ALARMTEK
CARALARMSTORE.com
Do you mean green wire with orange strip or orange wire w/ green strip? Both are there.

BTW, those links said to use the purple/yellow wire.
Couldn't find that. Difference between XJ and ZJ?

i have a 92' and the alarm started going off for no reason and killing my battery and waking up everyone in the neighborhood, so I disconnected it. It took awhile to figure it out, but here's how I did it. So, if your ok without an alarm, here's what I did.
1. Locate alarm module under dash above gas pedal.(mine had a label on it that said anti-theft.
2. Start engine, then unplug module.
3. Your done.
**DON'T unplug module first or the jeep won't start at all**
when you want to use the alarm again, just plug it back in.

Good Luck! Let me know if it works for you. It took me 2 years to figure this out.

i have a 92' and the alarm started going off for no reason and killing my battery and waking up everyone in the neighborhood, so I disconnected it. It took awhile to figure it out, but here's how I did it. So, if your ok without an alarm, here's what I did.
1. Locate alarm module under dash above gas pedal.(mine had a label on it that said anti-theft.
2. Start engine, then unplug module.
3. Your done.
**DON'T unplug module first or the jeep won't start at all**
when you want to use the alarm again, just plug it back in.

Good Luck! Let me know if it works for you. It took me 2 years to figure this out.
How do you start the engine with with the alarm on?

or you can just unplug the door pin switches by unscrewing them and disconnecting the plug.
That doesn't do it.
Something triggers the alarm when the harness to the doors gets disconnected.
Has nothing to do with the dome light switches.

dgrigorenko, still waiting for your answer about the green/orange wire.

Get the door pin covers like used on Wrangers or jumper on the wire for the door pin, make the alarm think the door is clossed. You might need to reset the system, since the alarm thinks there has been a breakin. this may mean temporarily re hooking up the door and doing the KEY thing or reseting the ECU, Don't really know which will work.

By the way most of the people that buy and wheel XJs, got them because they HAVE Doors and a roof. If they had wanted a Jeep with No doors or a roof the would have gotten a wrangler.

HEY, CAN A GUY GET A LITTLE HELP HERE!!!

I mean WTF man, I realize this is such an obscure problem. After all, there can't be more than a hundred doorless rigs on this forum; most of which I'm sure had to face the same problem.

What's happened to naxja? :dunno:
Back in the day; there would be 2 pages of replies by now.

We don't have the remote. Obviously we don't have the doors on to lock/unlock 3 times.

There's got to be 50 people out there with the answer.
One would suffice.

I never bought an XJ with the alarm system...

mac 'see ya saturday' gyvr

The factory alarm system has switches on the back of the door lock cylinders that deactivates the alarm when you use the key to unlock the vehicle, which I know because they sometimes fall off the back of the cylinder which is fun when you unlock the door and the alarm goes off. The keyless remote does the same thing (which you don't have). I don't know the exact operation of the switches though as to whether its a momentary type switch, or if it needs a constant ground or positive. I am pretty sure that is the source of your problems. I don't have a FSM so I can't help you an what wires you may need OT jumper in the harness.. maybe some one that has one can help you out with a wiring diagram

edit: this post on JF says it is the green with orange stripe wire: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/disabling-stock-security-system-597672/ and anotehr idea http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70963&highlight=disable+alarm

Last edited:
YES

Green wire with orange stripe.
You can get to it under either driver's or passenger kick panel.
I chose the passenger because that on dead ends into the big door plug you disconnect when removing the doors.
Using this one allowed me to just cut and ground it.
The driver's side one needs to stay connected so you have to splice into it, keeping it otherwise connected.

Thanks dgrigorenko.

See ya Saturday, Mac.
I promise to wave as we go past :D

YES

Green wire with orange stripe.
You can get to it under either driver's or passenger kick panel.
I chose the passenger because that on dead ends into the big door plug you disconnect when removing the doors.
Using this one allowed me to just cut and ground it.
The driver's side one needs to stay connected so you have to splice into it, keeping it otherwise connected.

Thanks dgrigorenko.

See ya Saturday, Mac.
I promise to wave as we go past :D

i think you got it backwards!

mac 'lets go racing boys' gyvr

Back