• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission lock up problems (need some hard core techies)

black_goose

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

i'm having some trouble with my transmission/torque converter. I'm just gonna summerize my problem so I don't waste any of yalls time.

98 Cherokee (4.0)
163,000 miles (still running strong)
242 transfer case
AW4 Transmission

A while back my transmission wouldn't lock up in overdrive, and sometimes it wouldn't switch in over drive, basically i'll be pulling 2200 rpms at 60mph.

It threw 2 codes: p0700, p0743
0743: torque convert clutch solenoid.

I did my research (extensively) and found out it could be a number of things.

So here's all i did to it (prior to the problem) and after i had the problem:

- NSS (was changed before the problem happened [i think], bought a 150 aftermarket one on ebay)

- Speed sensor changed

- TPS, IAC both changed (TPS was changed twice just in case)

- transmission fluid drained and replaced twice with (i'm pretty sure) Dextron3/Mercon, no discoloration was noted, fluid checked out fine.

-OHMS checked on all solenoids, they read within the range of 11-14 OHMS +/-. (I didn't check it myself personally, transmission shop said they read well).

- no bad or irregular shavings of any sort in the transmission.

now here are the only 3 things i havn't done yet, the last one of course being my last option considering its the most expensive:

- transmission flush (under the pressure of the transmission pump, i don't agree to power flushes)

- TCU replacement (not sure how to exactly do that, but i assumed if the OHMS on the solenoids were good than the TCU should be fine)

-a new Torque Convert (my last culprit).

here are my concerns:

Now it only does it sometimes (which makes me assume it could be electrical)

Something i thought was strange was when i let off the gas when lock up is working, the rpms fall to 1000, and jump up to 1200 and then gos back down to 1000, is it supposed to do that? :confused:

I think it might be doing it when it heats up (not sure).

i was in a couple of front end collisions and thought that maybe my transmission lines were pinched but the transmission shop told me that the fluid checked out fine.

i'm stumped guys, any help would be appreciated

Back