• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Bolt Size?

Balls McGee

NAXJA Forum User
Going to fab up a custom bumper this weekend on my 98 XJ and a new brace plate will be added to aid in keeping the steering box secure. All new hardware will be used but before I hault the old bolts out, does anyone know what the stock bolt size is (width and threads/inch)?
Thanks.

Any idea on the stock length. I need to replace mine with longer due to going to a Dakota box and having to space it away from the rail.

The bolt itself is 4" long, but the bolt isn't fully threaded to the tip. There is a 1/4" gap from the tip to where the threaded portion starts.

other option would be to drill out the threads on the box, grab a longer and bigger bolt with nuts and put them all the way through the box.
that way you wouldn't have the hassle of trying to get the threads started when you put it back on 9just slide bolts through) and you get some bigger bolts so it 'should' be stronger.

just a thought, i think i will do this when i replace mine in a bit.

i just glanced at 5-90s page and didnt see it listed

So does that mean the bolts "need" to be threaded all the way to the head?

No. I was saying that the thread didn't start until about 1/4" away from the tip, not the head. The stock bolt isn't fully threaded to the head. Most bolts you will find in a hardware store that are 4" long are not going to be fully threaded to the head.

When I put my 1/4" thick bumper mounts on, I just went to the hardware store and got the same length 7/16 bolt as the stock bolt, except it worked because the threads went all the way to the tip.

Thanks for the thread information, I am going to have to pick some up.

I think mine are seized in place (although not fully snug) and is causing the popping noise I am hearing mostly when doing tight, slow turns....like turning in or backing out of a parking spot. The pop is pretty darn loud, always get a few stares when it makes the noise!

That popping is usually the frame side trackbar bracket. Both of my Jeeps have done that.

It used to make the popping noise when I ran the stock tracbar and tracbar mount, and then it still made the noise after I switched to an adjustable tracbar with different mount (bushing at both ends)

Back