• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing floors.

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
Today I've started disassembling some of the interior of my jeep because my floors are PRETTY rotted out. I've bought some dupont spray on undercoated/sound deadner and I have some sheet metal. I've temoparilly patched it a little bit just to keep the water out but how can I do it the right way? (I do not know how to weld) I want to put some structual integrity back into the jeep, but will riveting sheet metal add any ?

100_1401.jpg

100_1575.jpg

100_1576.jpg

camarors8992 said:

holy shit!!!!! thats crazy, i would start looking for a new xj that is trashed, so much of the main floor is gone! wow im speechless, but then again i've never seen rust repaired that bad before, maybe someone else has done it?

That's the normal reaction I've been getting. There is no rust on the outside of it which is why I wasn't so cautious of rust when I bought it.

camarors8992 said:
That's the normal reaction I've been getting. There is no rust on the outside of it which is why I wasn't so cautious of rust when I bought it.

i used to have a 91 that spent its whole life in maine and it didn't hold a candle to that on e

camarors8992 said:
Here's my driver's side floor.

100_1403.jpg

you want my advice? find one with a blown something, trans engine rearend it doesn't matter just get it cheep and rust free and fix it with parts ( engine trans rearend whatever it might need) from the one you got. and any good stuff on yours that you like better swap it over. thats ridiculous and scary

ZOINKS!!!!!!!

I have a hole (that I thought was rather big) in that back passenger corner but it's far enough towards the outer panel that I could cut out the bad and still not be up against the "frame". That is really bad. Have you checked the area above the cat.?

It can be fixed, mine was as bad, if not worse.You first need to arrest the the rust you have. Remove any rust you can, grind, blast, sand it, but get it as clean as you can, now treat it with Zero Rust or POR-15 or something like that, I like Zero Rust,not as toxic as POR.
Welding is really the way to go, you can pick up a small wire fed welder for less than $150. Your not going to be running any beads so great welding skills are not a must.
Get some 18ga sheet metal and start fabricating.
If you want send me your e-ml addy to: [email protected] and I can go into great detail for you, keep reading in here, there is a wealth of knowledge in here and ways to do things that you would never have imagined.

dizzymac said:
It can be fixed, mine was as bad, if not worse.You first need to arrest the the rust you have. Remove any rust you can, grind, blast, sand it, but get it as clean as you can, now treat it with Zero Rust or POR-15 or something like that, I like Zero Rust,not as toxic as POR.
Welding is really the way to go, you can pick up a small wire fed welder for less than $150. Your not going to be running any beads so great welding skills are not a must.
Get some 18ga sheet metal and start fabricating.
If you want send me your e-ml addy to: [email protected] and I can go into great detail for you, keep reading in here, there is a wealth of knowledge in here and ways to do things that you would never have imagined.

We have a collection of old street signs, would that work as the metal ? I really don't have money to go out and spend $150 on sheet metal. We have a welder, but I'm not sure if I would be able to use it being 17 and all. Sorry to sound like I want to do this half ass, but I really don't have a choice.

Yea I'm with Dizzy. There is a really good thread that a couple of us posted on when we were doing our floors.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93863&highlight=bed+liner
That is what I used to get through it.
But if you cant weld then you have a headach on your hands. The project was some of the toughest welding I have done. Lots of weird angles to get at to get good welds in. You could buy new floor pans and just cut away the rotten metal and put them over it. I fabbed my own floor pans out of 18ga and then used 20ga to do some piecing in.
I wish now that I would have welded some 1/4" angel between the door jam brace and the "Frame Rail" Just for some more support. so I would abandon this thread and start reading the one I linked you 2.
Any how Good Luck with yours :)

MOVE!Really though,My son was stationed in Watertown,NY for just over a year in his(Arizona) 2004WJ,I couldnt hardly believe it when I saw it again!

This summer I'm getting something newer. Then I want to chop this up and learn some things and make it a trail rig.

Its fixable. Mine was much worse. I had almost no floor left by the time I was done removing all the bad metal. The only good spots were the front foot wells and the trans tunnel as well as the cross member under the rear seat. I made my own floor pans from 18 ga. and welded them in. I also plug welded the panels to the frame rails every 2-3 inches or so. When it was all fixed I primed and undercoated the underside and primed and Herculined the interior. It was a BIG job. I prolly put in around 50-60 hrs total. It looks real good now and its been 2 years since I fixed it.
You should definitely weld in any patches - and do yourself a favour and throw away the carpet

I'm going to lay a layer of insulationa and then the factory carpet. I was hoping that would be enough to make the bolts unnoticeable.

Back