• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear ratio from vin?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Anyway to get the gear ratio from a Vin? 1jcwc7564gt178086, its an 86 xj with 2.8. Thanks

Not usually. Best bet is to crawl under and look for axle tags (which will have the ratio in the clear) or check the right-hand axle tube for a stamped Bill of Materials number (which can be run and the gear ratio determined that way) - and that's without just pulling the cover and checking the gears proper.

if its auto..im pretty sure its got 4.11's

Good luck getting anything from a vin that old

I did pull a set of axles from a 2.8l automatic that had 4.11:1 gears, but I cannot guarantee they were original equipment. From the looks of everything else on the heep, I would be surprised if the P.O. had upgraded them, however.

I don't doubt you. Usually the 4.11 axles were only behind the 2.5l manual, although I did see a reference that some older XJs with the off-road package had 4.11 gearing. All the V6 engines I saw at the yard had 3.55 or 3.73 gearing. One of them kindly donated a speedo gear as that works perfect for my 32s and 4.11 gearing.

If you have access to the Jeep, this might be helpful. http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles...xles_and_Brakes/Jeep_Axle_Info_and_Ratios.htm

Back