• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do i have obd1 or 2 in my 95 xj?

95cherjustin

NAXJA Forum User
Since i dont have an obd2 data connector under my 95 xj dash do i have obd1 then. If i ever get an engine light what do i do? Is there a way to plug my jeep into something

As stated above, it's OBDI. If you don't have access to an OBDI reader, you can get the codes by cycling the key. Ignition on-off-on-off-on, and then read the blinking light. Each code is two digits. "55" is normal end of sequence and always appears. "12" is recent battery disconnect, and often appears even if you haven't disconnected the battery. All others have meanings worth considering.

Here is a link for OBD1 CODES.

edit to add: Much as I respect 5-90's expertise in many areas, he is incorrect on which code is "all's well."

Last edited:
Guys i just ran my codes and this is what i got

blink, blink, blink
pause then
blink, blink, blink, blink, blink
pause then

any ideas

Guys i just ran my codes and this is what i got

blink, blink, blink
pause then
pause then

any ideas

Did it do this more than once? Is it possible that you missed a digit? It looks as if you got the 55 at the end, but there's something odd about the first set. It wouldn't be the first time this system has shot a blank or messed up, but I'd try it again a couple of times and see if it repeats consistently.

If there's some doubt about the operation of the OBD setup, one possibility is to disconnect the battery, then run it again. You should now get a 12 and a 55, and if you're lucky, the other code will be in between those two, and come out whole.

Are you testing because you have symptoms? If not, you might just see if the code clears after some more starts. Remember the computer doesn't clear for 50 starts, so if you just did your injectors, perhaps it's just taking some time.

If you have symptoms, or think there really is a problem, I'd check the harness first. Get a voltmeter and start with the postive 12 volt signal to each injector plug. This should be right at 12 volts for each injector with ignition on. There are a bunch of splices in the harness that split this off from a point at the distributor or coil plug. Manual is outside, but I'll check later if needed, to get the color code, etc. There seem to have been a few 93's that had bad splices, and it wouldn't surprise me if it occasionally happens in other years. You can also do an ohmmeter check of the negative line that goes from each injector to a pin on the PCU plug. Again, if you lack a diagram, post back and I'll find the pinouts. My manual is in about 50 pieces owing to a shop disaster (truck ran into building, scattered everything), and most of them are in my half-dead 95 at the moment as I try to troubleshoot my own harness for the lost signal and brake light source.

If you have an injector tester, you can of course use that as well, but be warned that the tester may pass a harness that has voltage drop without cutting out entirely. I went through a lot of extra steps on my stepson's 93 before I figured that one out!

Yea so far its just at start up it miss fires and runs or 4 or 5 cylinders. I left the battery disconnected from friday to monday.

Fired her up today and missed off the start engine light came on then the engine light went off 5 minutes later and jeep ran fine rest of 10 miles to wkork, i cleaned battery connections and put di-electric grease on all tps, iac, injector, temp and other sensor connectors to make sure the connections are good and that didnt help.

So this weekend i am replacing the CPS sensor, knock sensor if it has one and the temp sensor thats all thats left, then the ecu prob a junk yard one.

Yea so far its just at start up it miss fires and runs or 4 or 5 cylinders. I left the battery disconnected from friday to monday.

Fired her up today and missed off the start engine light came on then the engine light went off 5 minutes later and jeep ran fine rest of 10 miles to wkork, i cleaned battery connections and put di-electric grease on all tps, iac, injector, temp and other sensor connectors to make sure the connections are good and that didnt help.

So this weekend i am replacing the CPS sensor, knock sensor if it has one and the temp sensor thats all thats left, then the ecu prob a junk yard one.
No knock sensor on a 95.

Back