• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how big can i go

XJ MoNsTeR

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 88 xj 4 door with 5 inch RC lift im running 33 by 12.5 and have the front and rear fenders cut out i was wanting to know if i could runn 35's but at the same time im torn i want the bigger tires but my 33's do offer more travel and tuck than a 35 would and the 33's have never let me down

Throw some coil spacers/blocks in there and 35's will fit

I run 35's on 4.5" RC lift. Bumpstop it accordingly and you'll be ok. I installed the RC drop brackets which gave me some much needed down travel since my uptravel is hindered by my bumpstops. Just my .o2 cents

Rather than blocks in the rear, you can do shackles.
While not ideal, they are better than blocks. Forget revolver shackles.

I had 7.5" of lift with 35's my fenders are trimmed to accommodate bushwackers.
My tires still got stuffed far enough up to hit the fenders quite regularly.

Rather than blocks in the rear, you can do shackles.
While not ideal, they are better than blocks.

This^ :D

alotta guys run 35's on 4.5" and under. its more of a question of how much do you want to trim? at 5" youre fine. and also like royal xj said, bumpstops could be a good idea. i know guys that dont run any bumpstops at all though...i am running 4.5" and could easily run 35's and possibly even 36-37's if i cared to, but i will be going to 35's without thinking twice after these 33's go out. i have also trimmed a good amount up front. id say dont be in a hurry, let the 33's wear down, when the time comes, buy some 35's instead of 33's. in the mean time look for a deal on 35's ...

thats because your bump stops werent adjusted to where they should be

Either way that means my up travel was limited
which is my point

True, travel out back isn't a whole lot, but I've got more than enough travel up front and I like how low and stable my rig is. Too each, their own. It works for me.

Back