• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help tapping into 12v source at remote entry dome

snail

NAXJA Forum User
1997 4.0, power everything, no aftermarket alarm

i'm putting in a new scanner mounted between the visors, so i started to tap into the remote entry receiver wires. i clipped a few, and finally found a 12v source at the black w/ red stripe wire. however, as soon as the ground makes contact, the car horn starts going. also with the wires clipped, i lost power LOCKING, but NOT unlocking

have i already messed everything up? or am i just using the wrong source wire?

i have no need for the remote entry (dont have the remote anyway), and i just want to use its 12v power. and how should i fix the disruption to the power locks?

Last edited:
I think you might have tapped into a constant 12v source and that's whats causing your problems. I am not 100% but I would try another wire for sure, I think you tapped into your horn wire... I would maybe try the cigarette lighter or something off the stereo like your installing a amp.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1211.html

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1211.html

i would have done the cig lighter or something else, but the whole point of placing the scanner up on the headliner is so that i can tap into the remote entry source.

ehall: i also saw the dome light harness and considered using it, but i thought why splice into that when i can just use the remote entry power which isnt being used. i know other people on here have done it, i just couldnt find any info

I don't have the wire color or the schematic for your year but I suspect you tapped into the power lock circuit. The locks use one circuit with different polarity to drive the actuators, such that one direction moves the actuators in, and the other direction moves the actuators out. Since you have spliced something into that then you I assume you are doing something to prevent the polarity from being reversed on the circuit.

What kind of scanner are you working with that needs to be in the remote entry harness

it is just a uniden BCT8, which has the hardwire and the cig adapter. i constantly use my cig and other DC power plug for other accessories like phone charger and ipod, so id like to hardwire the scanner. plus the hardwire keeps the dash area less cluttered with wires.

i had clipped (not spliced into) the wires at that black plug where they all meet and attach to the remote entry 'board.' so recompleting the circuit may be a little tough :twak:

thanks for your help so far ehall

maybe you fried the unlock relay. there are lock and unlock relays under the passenger kick panel on my 91, but I dunno about your vintage

you really ought to put that scanner on the accessory power circuit so that it turns off with the rest of the stuff. you can run a wire up the A-pillar, that's not hard

you really ought to put that scanner on the accessory power circuit so that it turns off with the rest of the stuff. you can run a wire up the A-pillar, that's not hard

Absolutely... those links I posted should help with finding a good wire to use also. I would wire it up just like a amp off the Stereo Red/White wire or off the Ignition Blue/White or Blue Ignition Switch Harness wire.

Remote Turn-on Wire
The remote turn on wire goes to the head unit. When the radio is on, it puts out 12 volts that turn the amplifier on. If you are using a factory radio that does not have a remote turn on (or power antenna wire) you can tap into, hook it up to the ignition, so that the amplifier does not remain on when you turn the car off.

Back