• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAP adjuster for stroker question with pics

92YJ1ton

NAXJA Forum User
4h1agls.jpg

I built a really crappy looking MAP adjuster for my 4.6 stroker. Here are the issues:
First time I hooked the input of the new voltage wire to the Red/white wire going to the MAP(middle wire of three wires going into the MAP). This gave me a reading of 4.09 volts whether turned on or off. Soon as I flip it on the jeep almost dies then recovers but idles rough. The Check engine light comes on and the Air/Fuel guage is now reading very rich. So I turn the voltage down on the new adjuster several times and test it out. Im down to three volts but its still very rich at idle and the same as without the MAP adjuster at WOT. With the volts turned down it runs rough, with volts turned over 4.09 it idles very high. I figure something isnt right and Im hooked to the wrong wire.
Second time I hook the input to the brown and yellow wire (wire closest to passenger side of the three going into the MAP) instead of the red/white wire. Now I get a reading of 5.03 volts whether switched on or off. Im thinkin this is good because thats what it gets stock. I flip it on and no change so I start adjusting the voltage. No matter where I turn the trim pot screw to, it still reads 5.03 volts. So now I have no adjustment but my check engine light isnt on anymore and it runs exactly the same as it does without the MAP adjuster hooked up.

In the picture the blue wire is going to the brown/yellow and the one hooked the the red/white is unhooked completely.

So what is my problem????

here is a pic of my 92 wrangler that its in since I got it back together.

2w5v8yo.jpg

From my article:

*5.0v from wiring harness to left terminal of switch
*MAP sensor input from middle terminal of switch to MAP sensor
*Adjusted voltage from voltage adjuster to right terminal of switch

You've got the first one correct (blue wire). The red wire that you've got attached to the switch is the adjusted voltage from the MAP adjuster and that should be on the top switch terminal, not the middle one, so move it up. You should have a third wire going from the middle of the switch to the passenger side wire (reference wire) of the MAP sensor.
Remember that the reference wire should be cut. The wiring harness end of the cut reference wire should ONLY be joined to your blue wire going to the bottom terminal of the switch. The MAP sensor side of the cut reference wire should be joined to a wire going to the middle terminal of the switch.
Make the two corrections that I mentioned and all will be good.

Thanks for the help Dino. I didnt realize that the one wire going into the MAP had to be cut. That will definately make a difference. It makes perfect sense now though.

Back