• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is 12 gauge steel good for armor?

codyyy

NAXJA Forum User
I recently dented the lower section of my doors. I have quite a bit of 12 gauge steel and was wondering if I should plate the lower section of the doors with 12 gauge. Otherwise I'll probably end up making fender flares out of this like I'd planned. Thanks.

I wouldn't call 12 gauge "armor", being barely over a tenth of an inch thick...

I wouldn't really consider it for something that would be taking a lot of damage, but seeming as how I'm only thinking of plating the lower sections of the doors I figured it might work.

well if you've already dented em who's to say they won't get hit again? :dunno:

Yeah I'll just use that stuff for fender flares like I wanted to. I just bought a stick of 3/4" round tube and a 24x48 sheet of 12 gauge planning to make flares and then realized I don't have the tools.
If I decide to plate it I'll probably go with 3/16", maybe 1/8" just to make it dent proof. Dings and scratches are fine.

I'd give it a try and see what happens, worst that can happen is it gets dented more right? Might as well try it since you have it on hand.

I want to armor the bottom part of my doors with 1/4" HDPE plastic (same stuff as chopping boards). The way I see it, what dents sheetmetal is having a sharp hard object poke into it... If you distribute the force, you should be able to prevent denting. If it bends inward and then springs back, you succeeded.

Yeah I'll just use that stuff for fender flares like I wanted to. I just bought a stick of 3/4" round tube and a 24x48 sheet of 12 gauge planning to make flares and then realized I don't have the tools.
If I decide to plate it I'll probably go with 3/16", maybe 1/8" just to make it dent proof. Dings and scratches are fine.

12 gauge is pretty close to 1/8", which measures out to .128" thick. I think it'd be fine as door skin, you don't want to go too thick (i.e. heavy) as that will just stress your door hinges and add unecessary overall weight to the Jeep.

if it is reinforces then sure but for like a belly skid it is too thin... if you bolt on the poly cutting board then you increase the strength dramatically... dimple die it, etc...

where do you plan on running it?

Yeah that's what I wanted to avoid was the weight issue. As I've said though, it would just be the lower maybe 6" of the door I was thinking.

Back