• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Mounted Shot Gun Rack

Ice_Man

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve seen a few threads on this topic, but none directed towards mounting a gun rack on the inside roof area.
Some brief background: I have a Remington 870 12Gauge Shot Gun that I would like to take with me during camping/wheeling trips. I have designed my rig to be able to sleep in the back with the rear seat folded down and the rear seat cushion removed (I’m 5’7” and my girl is 5’4” ;-).
I’d like to be able to mount a secure locking gun rack just below the headliner on the inside of the roof. Ideally I’d like it in the middle of the cargo area, so if I need to grab it at night, I’d have easy access. Also I’ve looked around on Cabelas.com and Galls.com and found a few different models that might work, however, they would all have to be either modified or have a custom bracket built to accommodate the rack. I would like the rack to have a secure locking mechanism which can be electronically activated by a hidden button/switch to open the lock when need be. I am familiar with this type of gun racks due to my career as a law enforcement officer, so I would like to have something similar to what’s in the cruisers that I drive. The only problem is that they don’t seem like they would adequately support the gun enough from the rough ride that we are all familiar with on the trails.
Lastly, Id also like to be able to access the gun from the drivers seat (reaching back). I understand that I would probably have to install two release buttons (one in the front and one in the rear). I know this is a tall order to fill, but have any of you done anything like this? If not, any things to consider or input. I know that just above the rear passenger’s seats, the headliner molding is metal rather than plastic; there are also two screw holes. This may be a good location to tie into. Thank you in advance. :patriot:

why would you want to be able to reach it from the dirver's seat? and why not just get either a key or combo padlock? only takes a little more effort, but does the same job

I was under the impression that it was illegal in MA to have a gun rack in/on your car.

Ok, to clarify a little more: it is legal (as long as the gun is locked and secured) to have it on a rack in a vehicle in MA. Furthermore, having it mounted on the roof on the inside, in conjunction with dark tinted windows, keeps it out of sight-out of mind. The pistol is a fine idea in most situations, however, my thinking is that if I'm out in the woods and on the off chance one of an ever-growing black bear population decides to stumble into the camp area, Id like to have my 870 at my disposal. If nothing more than to have it available, I'm not an advocate of killing things (not even a hunter); and Id rather not go out and buy a .44mag just to have a pistol (because you wont do much to a bear with a smaller caliber). Lastly, the drivers seat accessibility, was just a though, i figured that if I need the gun, I have it available, and not have to go crawling in to the back of the Jeep to get at it.

Last edited:
Get a smaller shotgun :D

ZK_12_GA.jpg

Jeezuz It looks like I need to get a smaller pic!

Last edited:
It's MA which is just as bad as CA when it comes to losing your personal liberty and freedoms.

But he "says" he's a cop so the rules are different for the "privileged few" that enforce the law there but don't need to follow it.
(can you tell I'm a bitter ex-masshole? - (does it show?))

- He's making it too complicated - get a S&W 460 (which can also shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt), Ruger 480 or a S&W 500Magnum

If your worried about critters and not concerned about hunting and just 4 and 2 legged predators go with the large bore revolver, a pancake holster and a chest rig and you'll be good to go.

Easier to carry, easier to secure and leaves both of your hands free in the sticks.

If you really want to secure with lock and key while away Masters Of Security has a decent in car gun safe.

pgroup_6974_111_400x600__shadow.jpg

:flamemad:

Guys, I appreciate the input (especially from you RTFM ;-), and maybe this thread should be moved to the adventure forum. But I'm looking for more of what it would take to set something like this up in our rigs. IE- has any one done any thing like this? What are the considerations of mounting a rack that would weigh approximately 30lbs with gun in the location that I am considering? Also, I'm pretty much set on using my 870, and would rather not go out in purchase another gun. Again, thank you for the input so far.

WHAT? I don't even own an unloaded gun.

ETA:

A tubular fed pump unloaded locked away in an awkward position isn't even really worth effing with is it? I mean if you're in your car and a bear comes, just let it go away. If you're in your car and someone wants to get you, by the time you find the key, unlock the gun, find the shells, load the gun and then attempt to turn around a fullsize shotgun in your car...go ahead, perform drills on this and see how long it takes. Then perform drills of another kind. Run up to your jeep with the rear window down, make a smashing stroke with a gun, yank the door open and yank out a dummy. You can stop that clock at door open, because if you don't have a gun in their face when that door opens, you're already gone.

Last edited:
I have not seen a roof model, but you may look at how ever these Cherokees were used for law enforcement, how they mounted them then maybe you can find one of those brackets. I'm sure it would be for tactical legth and be vertical but it is something to look at.

I'm pretty sure that the Cherokee Police vehicles had either partitions which the long gun was mounted to, or a vertical mount like you said XJJack. Also, I would prob throw a few rounds in to the gun when I'm in the back bedded down for the night (keeping it legal). Pressing one release button, and grabbing the 870 with an 18" combat barrel and tactical folding stock shouldn't be that cumbersome in the back of the Jeep (not to mention the Surefire fore-end tac-light grip :). I was just hoping not to drill into the roof with this whole thing.

Back