• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust dropping spontaniously onto crossmember/belly skid?

dgrigorenko

NAXJA Forum User
so i was out tooling around on some forest roads today, and just as it went from pavement to sand trail there was a small bump, and suddenly i heard a loud grinding/vibrating noise from the engine/front end (or so i thought). i stopped got out and found that my exhaust had decided to lower itself about 3/4 of an inch for no apparent reason. i checked all the bushings and hangers and they are all still intact, and dont seem to be in a stretched position or anything. i also checked where the manifold attaches to the down pipe and nothing came loose that i could see. i tried pushing it back up with a leather kneepad and it was not going to go anywhere easily, so i drove it back with lovely vibrations and noise.

any ideas how the heck this could happen??? also is there anyone that sells an aftermarket downpipe without the stupid dent?

specs in sig

g

No idea how it could happen.
If there are any downpipes you can buy off the shelf, I don't know about them.
Any competent exhaust shop should be able to bend one up for under 50 bucks. I paid 30 for mine. At 5" lift, it shouldn't be hard to clear the front U-joints. At stock height... that dent is there for a reason.

No idea how it could happen.
If there are any downpipes you can buy off the shelf, I don't know about them.
Any competent exhaust shop should be able to bend one up for under 50 bucks. I paid 30 for mine. At 5" lift, it shouldn't be hard to clear the front U-joints. At stock height... that dent is there for a reason.

yeah i knew it ws there to clear the driveshaft at factory compression. i am thouroughly befuddled by this, i just keep looking at it with no ideas whatsoever

Check your motor mounts and their bolts.

good call... i did look at them breifly from underneith, but will look closer again

Check the exhaust mount that attaches to the TC crossmember. Mine snapped off and it took me forever to realize what was making the horrible noise, the exhaust pipe lays on the crossmember and turns the whole unibody into a sounding board for your exhaust. It only has to move down like 1/2" to contact the crossmember.

Even if the TC exhaust mount is broken, check your motor mounts. I fought that mount for 2 years before I realized that until I replaced the motor mounts, I'd always have problems there.

Even if the TC exhaust mount is broken, check your motor mounts. I fought that mount for 2 years before I realized that until I replaced the motor mounts, I'd always have problems there.

so i found the problem! it was worse that i had anticipated, however it was not as bad as it could have been. the bracket that holds the engine to the motor mount (bolts to the engine) combusted... luckily i have the Rubicon express track bar brace, which is currently holding my engine up:gee:

P9030944.jpg

P9030943.jpg

Back