• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE question

rookcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
There was a site for the SYE kits posted a little while and I can't seem to find it. On the site you have the choice to just buy the SYE by it self, or buy the drive shaft by it self, so on and so forth. If anyone can help with navigating me to this site that'd be great.

Also, I have a Dana 35 rear, an np231 transfer case, and a 5 spd tranny. If I were to get a SYE what should the size of the driveshaft be?
Can I use one off another jeep? I have searched around and it never really gets into specifics of the length etc?

Again, any help is much obliged. Thanks!

Can any one chime in on my other question:

I have a Dana 35 rear, an np231 transfer case, and a 5 spd tranny.

If I were to get a SYE what should the length of the driveshaft be?

Can I use one off another jeep?

I have searched around and it never really gets into specifics of the length etc?

Thanks!

Okay, so I've measured the length of my current stock drive shaft from the outer lip of seal to the centerline of the u joint and it's 34 1/2" .

Now when I order a new driveshaft to go along with the SYE is that the size I need to go with? (34 1/2")

Or do I need to get a different size?

Thanks

putting in the SYE will change driveshaft length.

lift also changes what your driveshaft length.

also, are you planning on using a double cardan shaft? I'm assuming so.

you will need to ask someone like tom woods, or just buy the SYE then do the proper measurements and get a shaft made.

I did the latter for mine...but it's a comanche and I don't know many (if any) people who run an SYE on an mj...it's not necessary because of the longer wheelbase.

putting in the SYE will change driveshaft length.

lift also changes what your driveshaft length.

also, are you planning on using a double cardan shaft? I'm assuming so.

you will need to ask someone like tom woods, or just buy the SYE then do the proper measurements and get a shaft made.

I did the latter for mine...but it's a comanche and I don't know many (if any) people who run an SYE on an mj...it's not necessary because of the longer wheelbase.

Well, I'm trying to see if I can purchase an SYE and use a front driveshaft off another jeep.. i've heard of others doing this and wanted to know if it's possible for me to?

I don't really want to purchase the SYE without knowing what I need.

Thanks!

then ask tom woods, and then find out the measurements for the stock front driveshaft, and other jeep front driveshafts, and make something work.

buying an SYE without the dshaft isn't a big deal. you'll find something for it pretty quick.

I'm pretty sure it won't work. The only ones I remember it working with are auto trans w/ 8.25 and probably D44 rear axle. I'm NOT running one myself, but there are lots of threads on this. Search away!

I'm pretty sure cr2000xj is correct, what you can do is measure a stock rear driveshaft from an auto+8.25 and your rear driveshaft. If they're the same length you can use the auto front driveshaft like everyone else, if they aren't you will have to put some further thought and measurements into it.

8.25 and dana 35 driveshafts are different...d35 is approx. 1" longer.

if that's the case, a v8 zj front dshaft is about perfect length to run in the rear

with an 8.25 you should be able to run just a front dshaft given the proper yoke

the guy I got my sye case from (scorpio_vette) was running an aw4 xj front shaft with an 8.25 in his.

Everything I have read on the TC sye for ax-15 xjs points out that none (not one) of the commonly available driveshafts normally considered for the aw4 sye are long enough. That leaves you having to have one custom made by (whomever). Count on (whomever) charging you around $300 unless you find a local shop able to provide this service for less. If by some chance you do find one off a ??? or perhaps a ??? that works, please let those of us with manual trans xjs know of your find.

IIRC isn't an ax15 shorter than an aw4? ....I have an ax15 np231 8.25 rear dshaft here and that dshaft is longer than the ax15 np231 8.25 rear dshaft I just put in my friend's 99 xj.

that would mean you'd actually need a longer shaft in the rear...

Back