• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Had a thought on the dodge keyless entry key

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at my 06 Ram's key today and I had a thought. The key itself fits right in the ignition same length and everything. I was wondering if the remote part of it could be programmed to work on a XJ?
Obviuosly the panic button wouln't work but would the lock/unlock functions work?
I don't know enough about electronics to know much about remote radio freqs.

Any info on your Jeep or do we just guess ?

The simple answer is no, you need a suitable remote from another Cherokee. 1997-2001 the remotes can only be re-programmed at the dealership.

Last edited:
I was looking at my 06 Ram's key today and I had a thought. The key itself fits right in the ignition same length and everything. I was wondering if the remote part of it could be programmed to work on a XJ?
Obviuosly the panic button wouln't work but would the lock/unlock functions work?
I don't know enough about electronics to know much about remote radio freqs.

what year XJ, you may have better luck with a later model XJ. the keyfob for my '99 jeep and '03 dodge physically look the same, but it isn't the one piece key like you are discussing. the RAM's owners manual has a how-to on programming the fob, not sure if you can do that yourself for the jeeps, may have to be a dealer programed deal.

my bet is that it is a complete different system/vendor when they switched from a fob to a one-piece key

oh Sorry I forgot that I lost my signature block when the red color for my name went away. (DUMB IMO)

Its a 98 Sport.

I wonder if the guts of my old key fob could be modified to fit inside the one piece key?

The chip for the factory 97+ keyless entry is up in the dome light. If a Ram is setup the same way, you could possibly score their chip and just change the wire pinout from the chip to the lock circuits.

not a bad idea, but I doubt I will find a dodge and its keys at a salvage yard. I'm thinking about making a blank key from the dealership or one off of ebay. either taking the guts from an original key fob fit in there or seeing if it can be the transmitter can be programmed for a 98 XJ

after a thorough inspection of both transmitters I have concluded it would be a easy task for an electrical engineer to make the guts from a old transmitter fit a new key body, but way beyond my capabilities. Maybe the reprogramming of the key will work.

I'm an EE, so are a few others on here - can you post up some pictures and any notes you have? We might be able to figure something out.

Back