• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3" BDS lift owners...

monkeyevil

NAXJA Forum User
Just installed 3" BDS front coils and the 3" rear springs on my wifes new 00 XJ. Rear is sitting about 1.5" taller than the front. This is a common issue with full packs, but I have no experience with these specific ones.
How far did yours settle? If I need to install front spacers I would like to do it now and be done with working on it for a while :cheers:

Are you using the stock shackle? if you are it will settle.they make thier coils stiffer than most companys.and leafs softer,when i bought thier coils i talked to a tech.they do this for better balanced flex.best coils on the market IMHO.quality leafs also..

Yeah stock shackle.

I've ran BDS springs on my YJ sprung over for a long time. They make good products. I went with them for the wife's XJ because I know they are soft and I want it to ride well. Her last Jeep had an add-a-leaf because I had a pair laying around the shop. I got tired of her XJ riding worse than my 2500 Ram.

Also try loosening the rear mounting hardware and drive around a little,then re-tighten and check again!

Yeah stock shackle.

I've ran BDS springs on my YJ sprung over for a long time. They make good products. I went with them for the wife's XJ because I know they are soft and I want it to ride well. Her last Jeep had an add-a-leaf because I had a pair laying around the shop. I got tired of her XJ riding worse than my 2500 Ram.

*cough*

That's one of the reasons I stayed away from RE, everyone seemes to have that kind of issue.

Not a 3" but I did put the BDS 4.5" on my '01 and it sets perfect. It's been on there almost two years now and the hight has stayed stable. I agree the BDS springs are superb. Did you check the part numbers? perhaps you got the wrong ones. The tech guys on the phone for BDS seem pretty sharp, give 'em a call. Here the thread from when I first installed the lift that has some pics. Linky

My RE 4.5 leafs sit at 6.25 with stock shackle, RE tech guy was a prick, said those springs are for a much bigger lift. I told him to put 6.25 then not 4.5. They said if you dont want to go that tall, take them to a spring shop and have them de arched

I had the BDS 3" and added a 1" spacer the the front to sit it level

I had the BDS 3" and added a 1" spacer the the front to sit it level

We had a 3/4 coil spacer hiding on a shelf. Tossed them in tonight it's close to level. If the back settles below the front I'll build some shackles for it. I'm sure it would benefit from longer shackles anyway.

Drove it home for the first time tonight and it's way softer than the Rough Country coils and add-a-leaf in her old Jeep. Well worth the extra $$. Has some vibes, so I'll drop the t-case for now and see how that goes.

We had a 3/4 coil spacer hiding on a shelf. Tossed them in tonight it's close to level. If the back settles below the front I'll build some shackles for it. I'm sure it would benefit from longer shackles anyway.

Drove it home for the first time tonight and it's way softer than the Rough Country coils and add-a-leaf in her old Jeep. Well worth the extra $$. Has some vibes, so I'll drop the t-case for now and see how that goes.
Using BDS coils in combo with thier leafs makes for a balanced rig!

Are you running the shocks they offer with the kit? Wondering because the rear 3" leaf pack has a 260lb rating and front 240. i wonder if it's my shocks or or stiff springs bc the ride seems really rough. All the guys at BDS say theirs ride reall smooth. Mine feels like a military rig. Anyone else's feel stiff or is that the way all 3"pack lifts are?
I've been told those rates are very stiff, correct me if I'm wrong.
Mine sat high for about a year. i loaded it down and romped on a trail and now everything is level. Loosen the shackles till the wrench spins, romp a bit on some whoops then tighten down.

Last edited:
I'm running some Bilstein 5100's. They are not XJ lift or hight specific, pretty sure they are both rear application for a TJ in different lift heights. They are not the soft valving, but their normal valving.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't float down the road. But it doesn't jar you around either.

I'm running some Bilstein 5100's. They are not XJ lift or hight specific, pretty sure they are both rear application for a TJ in different lift heights. They are not the soft valving, but their normal valving.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't float down the road. But it doesn't jar you around either.
Firm sound right lol?

Back